Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we got a dog a few months ago, Kira, she's great.

We just realized today that grapes are toxic to dogs. I knew about chocolate, onions, and a few others, but didn't know about grapes.

This is a problem, as we have trellises with grapes going all over our back yard. They go over our seating area. I make wine from them every year.

I have grape netting I put up each fall to keep the birds off, but it's not fine enough to keep individual grapes in. Some grapes invariably fall late in the season. I don't want to kill our dog or make her sick. I also don't want to have to rip out all my grapes.

Any thoughts on what we should do? I'm going to look for some finer mesh netting, but any other suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Not all dogs get sick from eating grapes and raisins so there's that. Otherwise there would be no dogs in places grapes grow and they pretty much grow all over the northern hemisphere and must be attractive to canines.

Lovely yard. My brother has grapes over his patio and loves it except at harvest time. He tarps the floor to make it a bit easier to deal with. Grass must be so much easier.

Could you make a quarantine yard for your dog during grape season? You would still have to meticulously pick up every last raisin that drops, not easy. I have an apple tree and have trouble finding all the rotten ones.

Could you remove certain vines and leave others? Could you retrain them so they can be behind a fence? I planted table grapes last year and have them on the other side of a low fence. My plan is no dogs back there when and if grapes are fruiting.

Depending on how good you and your family are and how malleable your dog is it is possible to train a dog to never touch something. I could teach Ginger not to touch something but Bucky, no way. Ginger has discovered she can harvest her own gourmet bamboo shoots but hasn't since I told her that wasn't acceptable. I've done the same with Bucky and the disgusting things he finds to eat but I'm still taking rotten canna roots out of his mouth all the time. She still could never be allowed by herself in the yard during grape season though. My brother goes through a couple months of mess, how long is your harvest season?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts