Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day, I went to my spouse's parents' house for dinner. After dinner we were playing cards, and my dog, Ozy, was sitting quietly in my lap. My spouse thought Ozy looked thirsty, so he grabbed my water glass and offered it to him to drink (he mostly did this because he found it funny).

This elicited all sorts of gasping and groaning from my mother-in-law, who said that pets shouldn't use people dishes. They've only ever had cats, but the cats always had their own food and water bowls. At home I have a set of nine or so small bowls that only ever get used for dipping sauces and whatnot, so I just use those for Ozy, because I can toss them in the dishwasher every day and I always have a fresh one for him. A bigger reason for using them is that I just haven't found food bowls I like yet. Because I'm crazy.

Anyway, my spouse seems convinced that it was just a cleanliness issue (which makes no sense for multiple reasons), but I think there's more to it. At one point she said "he's a dog, not a baby!" as if she was afraid that we would love our dog so much we decide not to have kids (this is not that far-fetched, as I'm not keen on having babies), but I really couldn't get a feel for exactly what the issue was.

It seems this bothered her so much, that today she showed up at our house with a 'present' for Ozy - a new bowl! So what I want to know, is there some stigma relating to sharing dishes with animals that I'm not privy to, or what? It's not like I was sharing licks of an ice cream with him - I didn't drink the water after he had stuck his tongue in it. What is the issue??

·
Registered
101 Posts
Some people are just grossed out by the idea of a dog slobbering all over things they use to eat with. My mom got upset when I let my dog eat my leftovers off a plate, but she doesn't mind (and in fact, asks for) kisses from him. So, it's okay for him to slobber all over her face but not okay for him to lick a plate that is going to be washed anyway? She quit saying anything after I brought that point up, haha.

I am definitely not a germaphobe, though. I have shared ice cream cones with my dog too... haha.:eek:

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
All of our pets' water bowls (we have 3 cats and the pup) are just... bowls. Why spend money on a special bowl when I have a thousand bowls?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I wash the dogs ceramic bowls in the dishwasher once a week and by hand every single day! I have also allowed my dogs to finish the crumbs in the bottom of a humans bowl. :) ... Lol! I bet your MIL would have a heart attack if she saw Eddee walking all over the dishwasher door and licking the pre-rinsed dishes in the dishwasher! Lol I am a very cleanly person ...... but ... That is what they make "SOAP" for! :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am definitely not a germaphobe, though. I have shared ice cream cones with my dog too... haha.:eek:
haha same here! my dogs get their teeth brushed and dog breath mints does that help? The vet said to after our heeler had some dental problems from before we got him. They have their own stainless steel bowls bc their a couple bucks and can get sanitized in the dishwasher when needed.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I wash the dogs ceramic bowls in the dishwasher once a week and by hand every single day! I have also allowed my dogs to finish the crumbs in the bottom of a humans bowl. :) ... Lol! I bet your MIL would have a heart attack if she saw Eddee walking all over the dishwasher door and licking the pre-rinsed dishes in the dishwasher! Lol I am a very cleanly person ...... but ... That is what they make "SOAP" for! :D
Haha Hamilton likes to "pre-treat" my dishes too!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Personally, I don't let my pets eat out of my bowls, or my plate or anything else if I have just eaten out of it -and of course not while I am. I just don't like it, unless it's a paper plate, then by all means have at it since it's about to hit the trash.
However, if we just need a bowl, I will generally sneak and let them eat/drink out of one of ours.
In general it doesn't really bother me because I'm a sensible person who realizes god made hot water and soap for a reason. Lol. My mother, on the other hand, would be quick to teach me if she caught me using one of our bowls for my animals. It's the idea of a dog who "licks itself all day" licking a bowl that grosses them out.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Personally, I don't let my pets eat out of my bowls, or my plate or anything else if I have just eaten out of it -and of course not while I am. I just don't like it, unless it's a paper plate, then by all means have at it since it's about to hit the trash.
However, if we just need a bowl, I will generally sneak and let them eat/drink out of one of ours.
In general it doesn't really bother me because I'm a sensible person who realizes god made hot water and soap for a reason. Lol. My mother, on the other hand, would be quick to teach me if she caught me using one of our bowls for my animals. It's the idea of a dog who "licks itself all day" licking a bowl that grosses them out.

Hehehe! ... I couldn't give my dog's paper plates ... they would eat them! Lol! XD

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have to use a regular bowl for water, one of my Pugs became too afraid of his reflection to drink from stainless steel bowls!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I could not care less lol as far as i am concerned a little germs are good for you. i share with my dogs all the time, let them lick off people dishes etc.. I dont USE people dishes for them but thats just because my dishes are all glass or ceramic and my dogs break anything breakable lol I do know people who get skizzed out byt that sort of thing though, one of my co-worker is a dog person and she wont use the dishes at work becaise they get washed in the same sink and scrubber as the dog dishes and this grosses her out.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Hehehe! ... I couldn't give my dog's paper plates ... they would eat them! Lol! XD
I have to be quick to take them away after all the food's gone because then they start on the plates. If it tasted good before, why wouldn't it after?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I really don't care about what other people think. He's my dog, he'll drink out of a stinking crystal wine glass if he wants to. He cleans my plates, pots, and bowls all the time. Saves me a low of elbow work when it's time to do the dishes, and if anyone complains, I'll grab their plate when they are done and let him clean it as well.
He does have his own bowl, and I actually envy him. It's a very nice high-quality stainless bowl that is basically impervious to everything he throws at it. I could use a couple more of them for myself, but he's odd and will throw a hissy fit if I don't feed him *his* food in *his* bowl, so I can't jack it from him for my own uses. Besides, anything that ends up in it is *his* so that wouldn't work anyways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts