Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - We've recently been having trouble with our 3.5-year-old lab/border collie cross growling at our cats whenever they approach her while she's lying down and/or at her food. She's been doing this for 5 or 6 months, maybe. I understand that she's being protective of the things she perceives as hers. The strange thing is, though, that she and the cats arrived together when they were just a couple months old, so they've grown up together and she was absolutely fine around them for the first three-ish years. They used to sleep together, occasionally. As far as we can tell, there was no obvious triggering incident, unless one of the cats did something to her during the night.

Has anyone else had their dog go weird around their cats after previously living happily together? What did you end up doing about it? Were they ever able to live peacefully together again?

(Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum! I couldn't determine which one it fit in best.)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Sounds like she's starting to develop some resource guarding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what we thought it seemed like, too, but... out of the blue like that? And after three years of happy coexistence? Plus it's not directed at us ever, just the cats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts