Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a puppy or doggie that was completely stressed/scared of the car, who would drool and vomit...and or pee or poo??? (could be just one...ex drooling... but for my girl it's all 4):(
If so can you please tell me if they ever overcame their fears or not and if so how you worked on it and any tips would be definatly appreciated.:rolleyes:

My baby rough collie is terrified of the car... so i'm starting with tiny baby steps.

Thank you in advance!!!
Take care
Natacha & Teaka

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a dog that was scared of the car and got car sick. We decided to use a crate that way we were cleaning the vomit out of the crate instead of the car which was a lot easier to wash.

We took it slow, just having her get in and out of the car and then praised her when she was in it and gave her lots of treats (while it was parked in the driveway). Then we would back up out of the driveway.. and calm her with lots of treats. Then we would get out, and slowly increase the time in the car. We also found that if we distracted her with a kong filled with yummy goodness (treats and peanut butter) she was distracted by the car ride. Slowly, with time she was able to ride in the car and has no problems.

I know they make an anti anxiety herbal remedy that I was going to try but never did. You are suppose to give it to your dog prior to going into the car to help calm the situation and then do the stuff above and going slow. Sounds like you may need this step as it sounds quite bad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for replying.

It is quite bad, i never seen anything like it. I don't know if it's the breed but maybe because the women who raises the collies where i purchased her from she has the vet come in for vaccines and the cerf eye checks were done at the vet but seeing how she reacts now i am certain she had to of freaked out then as a puppy.

I will try that tasty treat kong peanut butter. I tried with some treats (maybe they weren't tasty enough...lol) but once were moving it looked like she couldn't care less if i had a medium rare large steak for her... it wasn't important as getting out of the car.

I will google the remedy to see,
I wanted to hear some success stories like yours that could give me good hope, even if she might be worse.

Thank you, you have succeeded at making me feel better for her outcome.
and i am going to do just that...start slowly with backing out of the driving gradually work my way up.
Take care
Natacha & Teaka

·
Registered
926 Posts
Both my Berner pups hated the car rides - they would shake. I was concerned it was going to be an issue, because we love to take 2 hours drives to a friends cottage. So, as mentioned start with short trips and and rewards. I would drive to the pet store (about 5 minutes away), get a treat/cookie for each of them. Then drive home. Or, grab their leash, drive to a park that is close, and go for a walk. Drive home. Your dog will correlate car rides with fun stuff. Both my dogs love car rides now.

Give it time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your posting, because i live in the country side and the closest town is 30 from me but once she gets accustom to sitting in the car while it moves 10 feet i will drive a little distance and stop the car and try like you said take a nice walk and get back in the car... she used to be afraid of walking too... just a little nervous but now she walks with pride and confidence and she struts her stuff down the road. So i know she'll like that.

Thank you very much for the tip! I didn't think of that! but it something i will be def. doing and treats as well!

Take care!
Natacha & Teaka

·
Registered
442 Posts
When your pup is in the vehicle , can she look out the window while your driving or does she ride where she only feels the motion of the vehicle and cannot look out the window?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes she can see out the window, she even jumps up in the back to look out while she worries and drools.
Someone suggested on another forum that i block it so it doesn't make her woozy... i might have to give that a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts