Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Expose them to as many 'new' scents as possible during pregnancy (as Abbylynn said), and bring home a baby blanket from the hospital for them to smell before the baby comes home.

Expect them to vacuum the baby thoroughly for the first few days. When the baby is on the floor, they may try to nudge him (yes, I do know the future :) ), supervise them to be gentle. In contrast, supervise the child, because the first thing he will do is hit the dog in the nose. ... Usually not a problem for the child, but you do want to protect the dog.

Goldens are usually OK with kids, but make sure that they are OK sharing their food with a crawling infant, and that they can tolerate being hugged and kissed (My dog would simply get up and leave when 'pestered.' When he was in a particularly bad mood, he'd give a vicious slobbering - it really looked intentional ;-) - and then leave.) I recommend that you start getting in their faces now, so that they get used to it.

Desensitize them to noises, to things being dropped and clanged, to crying, and to (happy) yelling. If you go slowly with pillows, in a few months, they can get used to pots dropping. Congrats!!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts