Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably going to sound stupid, but if you use a doggy door I am curious.

Do any other animals use the door as well? I have visions of coming home to a housefull of pets both wild and strays lol....My imagination has coons, squirrels and chipmunks raiding your cupboards and garbages. Dogs and cats chasing each other around in circles, wreaking havoc on the household, maybe the odd rabbit or 2 cheweing your electrical cords etc etc lol

So how do you keep other critters out?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
LoL! That's exactly why we don't have a doggy door! I've heard stories about wild animals getting in.
I know there are doggy doors that come with a remote control that's attached to your dogs leash that opens the door when the dog gets within a certain distance, thus keeping out any animals without a remote. Sounds good, but I've got 2 cats that I would not want to get out doors, & I really wouldn't want DJ out in the yard when no one's home, so we don't have a doggy door.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I don't have a doggy door, but my dogs once escaped my yard and went in my neighbors dog door...luckily we are friendly and she has a good sense of humor. The main reason I don't have a dog door myself is because of mud being brought in.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I had a doggy door at my old house and never had a problem with it. It opened from my laundry room (which had a linoleum floor) onto a concrete patio. The concrete patio was surrounded by a 6 foot privacy fence that had a hole cut in it at once side which opened into an area that was fenced in by chain link. It was a weird set up, but I never had any unwanted critters come inside. (Well, there were times my dog was kind of unwanted, but that's another story.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts