Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just want to say thank you for reading, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

So, I have a small mutt dog, Daisy. We recently installed a Doggy Door bc when we are gone she has a bad habit of peeing in the house. We have tried to break her of this habit, but have never been succesful. We got her trained on how to USE the doggy door, but now everytime she wants to use it she acts almost like she needs permission. She will wait at the doggy door until somone says "Go!". Now, that is fine, but the problem is that she is STILL peeing in the house. :mad: I don't know how to break her of this habit and get her to just use it whenever she needs it.

Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I got nothing. I mean, it just sounds to me like she isn't housebroken. She thinks she's supposed to pee inside, so why would she use the door to go out, unless you told her to?

I suppose I would probably start back at square one of housetraining, as though she were a tiny puppy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I suppose I would probably start back at square one of housetraining, as though she were a tiny puppy.
I completely agree. I would start crate training and take her out every 30 minutes to go potty! Start all over from square one! I also aagree I don't think she is potty trained.

What are you cleaning the accidents up in the house with?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The doggie door by itself won't teach her that going in the house is wrong or that going outside is right. You still have to do the basic housetraining. Crating can certainly help but, more important is the supervision when she is free in the house. You have to catch her in the act and not let her finish......that is your only opportunity to teach her that going in the house is wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts