Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 pound, 2.5 half year old black lab mixed with what seems like a little bit of German Shepherd. He's all black, but has a the longer and kinda coarse fur like a German Shepard. Max has some white flakes and they're mostly near his butt and hind legs. He scratches there quite a bit. His coat is super shiny though.

He's on Orijen Regional Red and Orijen 6 Fish. He gets between 10 and 12 squirts of Grizzly Salmon Oil every day so about 10,000-12,000 miligrams of Omega 3s a day. He gets a 400IU pill of vitamin e about every other day, too.

He's technically my dad's dog, but since my husband and I moved back in to help my dad a little more, we've taken over the care of Max. He was eating Alpo and Ol' Roy, whatever was cheapest and was not getting any oil or supplements whatsoever. Max's coat was sooo dry and flaky and I had never seen another dog with a fur as dull as his. He's made a TON of improvement in the 5 months we've lived here. He looks like a new dog.

He gets two GNC Digestive Health Complex pills a couple times a week. He doesn't really even need them, but I give them to my dad's little dogs every day because it practically cured their constant diarrhea and throwing up so I figure why not throw it in Max's food a couple times a week too.

I don't think Max has ever had a bath in his life so it can't be that. He gets hosed off in the summer sometimes because he likes to roll in dead things, but that's about it.

I run a Kong Zoom Groom through his fur for about 10 minutes and try to do it every day. Sometimes I forget or just don't have time. I do that at least 4 times a week. I've heard those types of brushes are very good for distributing dog's natural oils evenly over the skin and fur. I use a Furminator on him a couple times a week also.

Does anybody have any suggestions of it could be and what I can do to fix it. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks so much in advance!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts