Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My name is Sheryl, I joined today out of being completely lost and praying someone has some ideas to help me and my miniature Pomeranian Molly. I welcomed Molly in my home 3 years ago by taking her from a bad home environment of Alcoholics who did not have time to train her and allowed her to use only pee pads in which she never went out side. She was given to me by a mutual friend as I had a regular size Pomeranian who sadly had a stroke and passed away Jan 2018. Molly has come so far in the 3 years I have had her but I still go very easy with her as I work 8 hrs. a day and can not allow her full access to the home due to even with a pee pad down she will use it but has to pee on the rug also. I have been told to crate her which mentally has been hard for me to crate her so long 5 days a week so I have put up a gate in our bathroom and let her have her food, water, bed, blanket and pee pad along with room to play. She has done great with that, I even leave the TV on in our bedroom for her to listen to or watch. Then after months of doing great she decided to start peeing in her bed and on her blanket. I did wash daily but finally decided I had to take it away from her which I have done. Now she closes the bathroom door and can't watch TV. So now my floors are protected from her and she has started something new!. Night time I gate her in our bedroom because if I do not she will go out and pee on my Livingroom rug. So I keep a clean pee pad for her in the bathroom and she will use it at night, I now take her food and water out at night and she uses her pad for peeing but once a night she has to pee on our rug in front of the bedroom door. Our home is bran new, we had it built a year before Molly came to live with us so she is not smelling another dog and my old Rocky was house trained never peeing on the rugs. I have tried everything possible to get the smell out including peroxide to break up the enzymes, everything I do appears to be wrong. I am probably stupid but never have I had a dog so hard so maybe I am doing something wrong. It has been a 3 year battle and I am almost at the give up point but I love her and I chose to love and protect her and I just can not give up. I have a new puppy coming May 1st and thought it might be good for Molly to have a play mate to keep her company. I have paid for him and only need to finalize the sale with a few hundred more down when I bring him home. I have felt as if maybe I can not have this new puppy because of her which is getting really unfair. I have given most of my life to this dog, I can not go visit my family in another State because I can not bring a dog who behaves so badly to family homes so she stays home and so do I and my husband goes with out me. I can not have someone watch her as she will soil their homes. I have found an answer to this problem which is I will board her at her vet's so I know she is safe. I love Molly very much but I just do not know what to do any more, she has been checked for UTI infections, all infections that could cause this and nothing wrong with her. I do not want to throw in the towel on her, I try and look at it as a child born with a disability and I'd never give up on my child and she is loved as a child. I am not looking to be criticized as I know I must not be doing something right here, I only want help and advice please.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Sometimes dogs who are trained to go potty on pee pads mistake rugs, carpets, pillows, or basically anything that feels soft under their feet for pee pads. Sometimes they don't have the capacity to distinguish their pee pad from a rug. There isn't a whole lot you can do about that besides pick up every rug or carpet in your house.

Your other option is go back to potty training 101, and train her to go outside. I mean, you can try to re-train her to use the pee pads, but you still risk her mistaking rugs for pee pads. Get her a crate that is just big enough for her to stand up, turn around, and lay down in. Many, many dogs spend an entire work day in a crate and are perfectly fine. You're talking about throwing in the towel on her if her potty issues aren't fixed. I imagine you will have a much harder time rehoming her than training her to accept a crate.

Treat her like a little puppy. Take her outside frequently. Reward her handsomely for going potty outside. When you can't supervise, she is crated. If you catch her going potty in the house, say something like "Oops!" to interrupt and rush her outside to finish. Reward for a job well done. Consistency is key. You may even want to pick up any rugs and block her access to carpets while you get a handle on the "potty outside" business.

If she really can't hold it a whole work day (small dog, small bladder, I get it) you can attach an exercise pen to her crate to make a small enclosure with pee pads placed on the floor. That is the ONLY PLACE she is allowed to potty on pee pads. At all other times, take her outside.

With a dog trained to go outside, you'll likely find that it is much easier to take her to other people's houses, too.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Going back to potty training 101 - and ditching the pee pads entirely - is the way to go. That might mean she actually pees on the floor, but I think you'll have a hard time solving the problem continuing to use them.

Does she pee in the bathroom if she is in there without anything soft?

For a tiny dog, you could set up an exercise pen, or get the biggest size of crate that you can afford, instead of the smallest one that she fits into. The biggest crates have plenty of room for a small dog to move and play around (although most dogs spend most of the time asleep when their owners are away at work).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts