Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used doggie litter? I've seen them, and saw the litter at the Purina web site. I was wondering if this works.
I am trying to paper train my puppy, but I see she is having problems aiming. Sometimes her paws are on the pad, and her but is not. Other times she comes close.
I want to paper train because I work all day and can only take my puppy out during breaks. I also don't have a fenced yard.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I saw a book the other day that said paper training a dog is a bad idea because the dog never learns how to hold it and is used to going whenever it feels like it as it always has the paper available. The dog is never truly "housebroken" Have you considered a doggie door that opens into a play yard or dog run in the backyard?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I use the litter box made by Purina but I don't use the litter, I just put a pad in the bottom of the box. I too was concerned about aim so felt a box was the better way to go. I opted against litter since 1) I have cats and didn't want any confusion, 2) I didn't want him eating it, 3) I didn't want to deal with it being tracked all over the house, and 4) I didn't want to deal with changing it. The box also protects my floors from potential leaks from the pad.

I get my pads from MedNetDirect and buy the 17 x 24 size--it's a perfect fit for the large litterbox (assuming they still just have 2 sizes).

I saw a book the other day that said paper training a dog is a bad idea because the dog never learns how to hold it and is used to going whenever it feels like it as it always has the paper available. The dog is never truly "housebroken"
Based on personal experience, I disagree. When someone says their dog is housebroken, I take it to mean the dog will let them know it needs to go and will hold it until it's in an appropriate place for using the bathroom. Mojo uses puppy pads at home, but we always take him with us when we visit friends and family and he doesn't always have pads to use. He still lets us know he needs to go and waits till we provide him an appropriate place (either a pad or taking him outside).

Also, a doggie door is a very bad idea for people who don't have fenced in yards! It's also not always a good option for people who have small breeds (those most likely to use pads and litterboxes) since there can be environmental factors that would prevent you from letting your small dog outside unsupervised.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
You are correct about the smaller breed thing. I hadn't thought of that. The suggestion was just from a book I read. My dogs are house broken, but I have a fenced back yard as well.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My friend got a small plastic sandbox, filled it with potting soil, and added sod. It's like a little bit of grass inside. Well, actually, she has it out on her balcony, but both of our dogs have used it. Hers is a chihuahua mix.

I'll try to remember to get a picture of the patch the next time I'm over there, although it won't be until later this week.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Litter boxes don't always help the aim...big difference between front paws in the box and all paws in the box. :rolleyes:

Hershey has a litter box, I use Feline Pine pellets and the FP litter box. The pellets turn to sawdust when hit with liquid and the box is a two-piece "sifter" unit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for your advice. I am trying to help my puppy be good at this. She tries, but she is easily distracted (like her owner).
I hope I am early enough to get her used to it. She has tried to reach the kitty litter, but she hasn't been able to, she has pooped at the entrance mat to them. It's actually cute that she had tried. (I did not see her do it, just found the evidence). But you are right, if she finds cat poop, she tries to eat it for some strange reason, so it's good she hasn't reached.
I take her outside and my husband takes her outside a lot. We do have a small yard, no fence though. (mobile home)
I was going to put a fence in, but times are hard now, and we had to put it off for a while.
I had doggie doors before, when I had my Schnauzers, but I had a big yard and a great fence, plus a large black lab. Now, I have one tiny dog and this neighborhood is not safe. I've had my car broken into, and my shed in the back involuntarily cleaned out. So I am paranoid.
It's funny but I had this picture in my head of some smart hoodlum with half his body stuck in the doggie door trying to get in. (I've seen one on "Dumbest Criminals") But this one would be stuck being tortured by a small Chihuahua nipping at is face!:eek:
I know, my husband even said we should have a German Shepherd. I told him that if we had one, we would not all be living inside! (I have 3 cats and 3 rats as well)
He loves Aurora by the way. She sleeps on him or next to him constantly.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Good luck with the training! Just remember that training your dog's potty habits takes time and effort regardless of where you train her to go. She won't train herself to use a litterbox or puppy pad anymore than she'd train herself to go outside! There are some great threads (I assume at least one is a sticky at the top of the forum) regarding housebreaking and developing a schedule that you will likely find helpful--just substitute taking her to the box/pad for taking her outside.

We also take Mojo outside and when he's out there, we reinforce going to the bathroom just as we do when he's on the pad. We did have the aim issue Bird-Dog mentioned but he learned quickly that aiming for the pad wasn't going to get him his click/treat--all paws had to be in the box!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
OK, here are the pictures. Here's the sandbox (a K-Mart find) with potting soil and sod.

My friend got it because her chihuahua was freezing in the winter and disliked going out in snow. This way, she has a little patch of lawn on her balcony.

Here's a picture of my dog on the patch. He's 17 pounds (to give you an idea of the sandbox size), and in this picture he is sniffing for a spot. He peed just moments later, and he's used it several times before. It works.

One nice thing about this is that it helps with the inside/outside pottying. You could keep it inside, but the lawn makes it look like outside to your dog. Since she is inside much of the day, something like this might be great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was sooo cool! I could've used this idea in Iraq. It would've been nice to have a patch of green.:D
I would like to do this for next winter for her. I will look at sand boxes when they come out in the summer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts