Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
sigh.

what the hell, JohnTruthman.

(and I don't think that dog should have been killed, nor was he 'attacking' him. If he wanted to attack the guy, the guy would have been bit and bleeding. Looked like the dog was overstimulated, scared and territorial. Not a reason for an immediate death sentence, IMO.)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
sigh.

what the hell, JohnTruthman.

(and I don't think that dog should have been killed, nor was he 'attacking' him. If he wanted to attack the guy, the guy would have been bit and bleeding. Looked like the dog was overstimulated, scared and territorial. Not a reason for an immediate death sentence, IMO.)
Yeah. If the dog was seriously attacking, the guy would have been covered in blood with the dog attached to a body part. Even when the guy fell, all the dog did was stand back and bark. Seems to me they were just scared and felt threatened. A tranquilizer would have been a better option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah. If the dog was seriously attacking, the guy would have been covered in blood with the dog attached to a body part. Even when the guy fell, all the dog did was stand back and bark. Seems to me they were just scared and felt threatened. A tranquilizer would have been a better option.
Tranquilizers aren't instant. They take a minute or two to take effect.

I can't watch the video (on my work computer), so I'm just going by how you guys are describing it.

But, aren't dog catchers supposed to be prepared for situations where the dog is territorial or aggressive? If he was prepared but the dog knocked him down anyway, and was acting like it might attack him, then I wouldn't really blame him for shooting. Most people are going to act to protect themselves, not wait to see if the dog is going to "seriously" attack them.

But like I said, I can't watch the video, so I have no idea what actually goes down.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I don't really see what your point is in posting this, other then to piss people off. Just for the record though, those Pit Bulls weren't attacking. They were frightened/feeling threatened and simply acting out of panic. A lot of dogs would have the SAME exact response if in that situation. If they really wanted to hurt that guy, he'd be on the ground, covered in blood with atleast one of them attached.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Tranquilizers aren't instant. They take a minute or two to take effect.

I can't watch the video (on my work computer), so I'm just going by how you guys are describing it.

But, aren't dog catchers supposed to be prepared for situations where the dog is territorial or aggressive? If he was prepared but the dog knocked him down anyway, and was acting like it might attack him, then I wouldn't really blame him for shooting. Most people are going to act to protect themselves, not wait to see if the dog is going to "seriously" attack them.

But like I said, I can't watch the video, so I have no idea what actually goes down.
Essentially, the video is of a dog catcher, standing there with a long pole and three Pit Bulls running around him barking. The dogs never try to bite him, they are just running around, barking at the dog catcher, who's swinging a long pole at the dogs. At one point the man even trips and falls to the ground with the dogs in close proximity, and they don't do anything but bark and run around. That was when the officer shoots.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Essentially, the video is of a dog catcher, standing there with a long pole and three Pit Bulls running around him barking. The dogs never try to bite him, they are just running around, barking at the dog catcher, who's swinging a long pole at the dogs. At one point the man even trips and falls to the ground with the dogs in close proximity, and they don't do anything but bark and run around. That was when the officer shoots.
Huh, sounds like he way overreacted then.

What, was someone just sitting there video taping when all of this was going on?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Huh, sounds like he way overreacted then.

What, was someone just sitting there video taping when all of this was going on?
Yeah, it was a dog catcher, a couple of cops, and someone filming from across the street. After the first dog was shot, the other two became silent and ran off.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm not trying to stir the pot and I do believe he overreacted quite a bit but in my opinion. Three dogs running loose in a "pack" thru a neighborhood unsupervised is trouble waiting to happen. Not only three dogs but three "bully" breed type of dogs. It's not surprising the cop overreacted to the situation. Then again they seem to do it often with humans as well. Just glad the damage was pretty minimal and nobody else or anymore dogs got harmed.(hopefully)

Seen way too many incidents here in Texas where three or more dogs get loose and come across kids playing and violence occurs. Not only kids either. Just something about dogs and how they act when they form that pack mentality.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm not sure what the point of this post is?

That being said.. there was no reason for that dog to be shot. He was not attacking the dog catcher. If you watch closely, he was trying to get the stick that the dog catcher kept shoving at him. If he wanted to actually attack the guy, he had plenty of time to do it. I don't think that was the dog's intention at all.

As for the cop, he got super lucky that he didn't miss the dog and shoot the dog catcher instead. It was stupid to shoot the dog in the first place, but even more stupid when he's running around chasing someone. That shot could have gone anywhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those are not Pit Bulls for one thing....
Nobody here said they were. But as soon as the Thread opened the pit owners started pointing fingers and shouting "pithater pithater". No lack of witch hunters here.

So it would have been better to wait until the dogs had gotten the guy down perhaps with a artery in his neck spurting blood before taking a dart gun and trying to hit one of this wildly acting pack. Then reloading and going for the second dog and if successful twice repeat yet again?

Lets check the cops choices: Do as he did. Two: Wait until the dogs got the guy down as I described above then after its all over go to the guys family and explain why their son/father is at the morgue because he didn't want to shoot at a pack of three wildly gyrating bully type dogs. Then go back to the station where the Chief will ask for his badge and then go home and call a civil defense attorney to assist him in the inevitable civil suit. Then contact the police department in Bogata, Columbia which is the only police force in the world where he might be eligible for police work.

Some of you are gob smack insane.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Nobody here said they were. But as soon as the Thread opened the pit owners started pointing fingers and shouting "pithater pithater". No lack of witch hunters here.
Do you read/listen to yourself write/speak sometimes? X_X Please, point out to me all of these "pit owners" that are "witch hunting" on this thread? Let me tell you, Keechak's Pit Bulls are some of the fluffiest man-eaters out there!

But - you also don't make an attempt to hide the fact that you openly hate (not the word I'm looking for but it'll have to do until I can think of the proper one) Pit Bulls and are far from understanding of the breed.

I also like that you seem to KNOW that if the cops didn't shoot the dogs you GUARANTEE that he/they/someone would have been severely injured or killed by them.
Since you can see the future I would definitely like to know what is waiting for me!

?!?!?!?!?!

Also - no one is forcing you or breaking your arm to continue to read the site or even post here since we're all soooo insane.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Humane Society worker would have stopped trying to get to the dogs if he felt his safety was at risk-you'd think anyway. The cop over reacted, and to be honest if he'd discharged his weapon that close to me I'd have some words for him after.

·
Registered
294 Posts
JohnTruthman, you still didn't mention what the point to this thread/post was? Are you just trying to stir up dust and start arguments?

I'll say it again.. not once did I see a reason in that video for the dog to be shot. If some guy was waving a huge stick at you would you not get scared and defensive and try to protect yourself? The dog was going after the stick, not the humane society worker! As for the barking, ALL dogs bark for MANY reasons!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts