Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Doggie Door?

1304 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  elrohwen
So DaPuppies are grown-ups now; Tweed will be three in August, and Jubilee just turned 2. I am becoming an empty-nester as well, and my daughter will be home less and less over the next couple of years.

In addition, the other day we opened the deck doors (there are two sets, so it makes a nice breeze through the upstairs when they are both open). I noticed that DaPuppies were more calm during the time we had the doors open, even when they went outside to see what was passing that they were interested in.

As a result, I’m thinking of installing a doggie door in one of the deck doors. However, I’ve heard some negative things about doggie doors: 1) varmints, particularly of the insectoid genre, are more of a problem when there is a door, and 2) dogs start thinking they are the boss when they can come and go as they please.

The doors will be on the second floor deck (there are outside stairs down to the back yard for the dogs to play and take care of business) so there’s little likelihood of critters other than insects entering through the doors.

I would appreciate any information you can contribute to this decision.

shallbe
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
If your back yard is fenced in and you feel 100% comfortable that it is secure I don't see why not.... but I wouldn't recommend dog doors.... but yea I know what your talking about. Other people that don't exercise their dogs and teach them things, most of the time will just bolt if a door is open. I do A LOT of off leash training, fortunately I have a nice big yard, not fenced in, but they all know the boundaries.
I use a dog door. I have had no issues. If I don't want them out, I lock it. The only time I advise caution is when someone thinks that having the access to a dog door is a substitute for housebreaking - Ie: they can show the dog how to get out and what do you mean they're not done? It saves me a lot of time and grief, even though we only really use it 3 seasons of the year and never when it's raining (I like to control the amount of mud and snow tracked in).
Thanks CptJack, for your input.

I'm certain Tweed is housebroken: not so sure about Jubilee, but I could do a test drive to make sure and just leave the door open some nice day to see. I can block them off from the rest of the house so that they can get in but not get anywhere they can cause problems.

Jubilee is our shelter rescue, and we didn't have the housetraining of her. Because my routine with them is such that messing in the house isn't really an option, I'm not positive that she gets it...she just never has the chance. So it would be worth giving it a try. May do that before investing in the door...didn't realize they were that expensive until I started shopping online!

shallbe
We had a cat door when I was a kid. Our dog used it until she grew too big. My major caution is that we and our neighbors had raccoons come in the house through them. We also had neighbors cats come visit through the cat door.
We had a dog door that led to our fenced back yard. Sadie was the only one who learned how to use it and she's no longer with us. It was awesome because she loved to just lay in the yard a lot and it didn't require me opening the door for her ten times a day. I work from home, so I'm almost always here but the times I wasn't here, I didn't have to rush home to make sure she didn't have an accident. It never led to any kind of problems with her thinking she was the boss.
Just be prepared that dogs do have to learn, be taught how to use them and that process can take a while. Bugs in the summer coming in when the flap opened? Yup! There were more moths and flying insects in our house for sure. Not a huge amount though...just more than if we didn't have the doggy door. Also in the winter, cold air does come in, so be prepared for that.
Well if we had to do it over again I would have foregone the $119 doggie door (I didnt open open it up til months later, we procrastinated putting it in, and discovered it had a plastic clear flap (flimsy)) and just cut out a chunk of the door and hung that on hinges (so you have a swinging wooden panel for them to push open)- takes the same amount of expertise (less ) to do that and waaay cheaper--- our pup (10months) wont leave the plastic flap alone and I have given up replacing it! So now we have a great pyreenes sized hole in our door! Granpa will fix it this summer, and meanwhhile we put a tarp over the hole during inclement weather, a very silly situation indeed....
No real issues with extra bugs (we have bugs anyway) and no critters entering (I mean its a great pyreenes sized door right, and he is one of 3 dogs)....
so that is my input...
I use a dog door. I have had no issues. If I don't want them out, I lock it. The only time I advise caution is when someone thinks that having the access to a dog door is a substitute for housebreaking - Ie: they can show the dog how to get out and what do you mean they're not done? It saves me a lot of time and grief, even though we only really use it 3 seasons of the year and never when it's raining (I like to control the amount of mud and snow tracked in).
This exactly. It's not going to house break a dog, but for dogs who just like to go in and out it can be great.

I don't have one (no fenced in yard) but my friends do and they love it. It opens from their kitchen onto an enclosed porch, so they can close and lock the porch door when they're not home or don't want the dogs to go out. I would worry about people being able to break into the house if there isn't a very good way to lock it. We proved once that my 6'1" husband can easily fit through their doggy door (even though it's not a particularly large doggy door).
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.