Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Oct. 3 I'm rescuing a 5 year old chi mix named Ruthy. She is the sweetest dog ever. According to her foster mom her biggest "fault" is her clinginess and loves to sleep in bed with her humans, which is the opposite of a problem for me. Ruthy is housebroken, unfortunately, she's been trained to use a doggie door... and I live in a third story apartment. What do I do? Thank you in advance for your direction.

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
Our three use a doggie door when the weather is mild. (It's Wisconsin, so it seems like that's about five weeks.) When it's cold, we revert back to manually opening the door. It's a hardship, but we manage.

You'll need to establish a schedule for walks. A healthy adult dog is admirably regular so, if you keep the feeding schedule regular, it shouldn't take too long to figure out her potty schedule.

I don't personally think any dog should have to beg to go outside. It's up to the care-takers to schedule outings as frequently as necessary. A chi has a small bladder, so it might be pretty frequent.

Good luck.Thank you for giving an adult dog another chance at life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. I had planned on taking her out approximately four times a day, since that's what I've seen my parents do with their beagle/bulldog mix, and what we did with our spaniel mix growing up. (Yes, we love mutts.) As an alternative, what do you think of the dog litter box idea in addition to walking, of course?

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
I think it's very confusing for a dog to use both a litter box and go outside, but I have not personally ever attempted it.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
She sounds like a sweetie pie. Five year old dogs are the best and my chi mixes are awesome pets.

I take new dogs out every hour from before breakfast to before I go to bed at first. Anxious dogs tend to drink more and are awake more, when awake the kidneys are working to make more urine. In a new place housetraining needs a tune up anyway, outside is good - praise/cookie, in is not okay - silence. After the first week you will note she doesn't need to pee at some of the walks, drop them and I am sure in 3-4 weeks you will be down to 4-6 potty walks a day.

Do watch for signs dog would like to go for a potty walk. Ginger stares intently at us and pointedly prances to the door. Bucky scratches rugs and furniture in an odd manner, not like nesting or scratching after peeing/pooping. Even though they are regularly allowed out they will do these things and out we go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts