Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 dogs. 1 of them is a new 2 year old rescue dog. She has been fine about potty training and has not had an accident until the house until recently we had a couple of poopie accidents in the early morning right before I get up. We have taught her to go in and out the doggie door, but since we open and close the back sliding door throughout the day so much she doesn't seem to think about the connection between the doggie door and when she has to go to the bathroom. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Unfortunately, dogs aren't like humans. They don't generally think in alternatives. So, either the doggie door needs to be accessible always, or the dog needs to be trained to alert you always. Otherwise, you get what you're getting now "Huh, that door isn't here, guess I'll just poop as close to outside as I can."

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
That is why I do not have a doggy door. Have thought about it often but would not want to leave it open overnight or when I am out as I do not like my little dogs outside when I am not home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Unfortunately, dogs aren't like humans. They don't generally think in alternatives. So, either the doggie door needs to be accessible always, or the dog needs to be trained to alert you always. Otherwise, you get what you're getting now "Huh, that door isn't here, guess I'll just poop as close to outside as I can."
The doggie door is always open, so that's not the issue.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Has anything about her or your schedules changed? Eating times? If I understand correctly, it's just a couple times in the morning she needed to go out before everyone was up?
For the time being, I would get up just a bit earlier (I know, doesn't sound fun) to make sure you get her out when she needs to go, because, for whatever reason, she's not getting herself out the doggy door.

Then, I would work on teaching her how to use the doggy door for pottying, from scratch. Not all dogs make the connection that they can use the doggy door on their own, as they need to, some have to be taught that. Obviously, your dog was doing fine until now. But, maybe you could just remind her?
We don't have doggy doors, but, there are people here that have "taught" their dogs how to use the doggy door, maybe they can offer more specifics.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Leave the sliding glass door shut, or close the screen door so she has to use doggie door to go out. Or put a toddler gate in where the sliding door is open so you can step over but she has to use doggie door.
Retrain her to the doggie door. Leave her in and then you go out with treats and call her.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She has no problem using the doggie door for anything else. I have left the other doors shut and that's when she goes in front of the sliding door. First time she did it I was asleep early in the morning and the second time I was at the grocery store in the morning. Nothing has changed about her schedule. I got her in December and I am unemployed so everything is the same.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Go back to housetraining 101. Supervise 100%, tethering her to you if needed.. Regular times that you take out to potty. Use a code word to tell her to potty/lots of high value treats (like cut up hot dog) when she goes. Do not give her the opportunity to have an accident inside.

·
Super Moderator
11,810 Posts
7 year old thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.