Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this at the pet store today (dog crap septic tub). Sorely tempted to buy it but I was wondering if anyone has experience with it?

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
I was seriously thinking about doing the DIY version of it last year. I called to make sure we were allowed to do it (by-laws and stuff) and I ended up talking to an environmental office guy. He said that our climate (Halifax, NS) was not warm enough to keep the bacteria active. He said that it would work in a warm(er) climate.

If I lived in a warmer place I would do it for sure. I now live in an even cooler climate than Nova Scotia so I don't know if I will ever be able to do it, but I am still tempted.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have had one for years and it's great.....except I live in California and with the drought we can't really spare the water to use it (I have the large one and it requires about 40 gallons a week). I use it whenever I can collect enough rain water or sometimes we can use dish water or shower water collected in buckets but it's a lot of work to do so.

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
I heard they don't work is the temp falls below 40....and that's most of the year around here. I'd like to try, at least use it in the summer, but all that digging.....maybe someday.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Hmmm ... I rent my house, and I don't think my landlord would want a big poop hole in the backyard. Plus, wouldn't it make the yard smell like poo?

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
Hmmm ... I rent my house, and I don't think my landlord would want a big poop hole in the backyard. Plus, wouldn't it make the yard smell like poo?
The point of the Dooley is that it's like a septic tank.....so, no, your yard wouldn't smell like poop any more than the yard of someone with a septic tank for their house. There are bacteria added to digest the waste. They do a pretty good job in human septic systems, unless you pour too much bleach down the drain or add some other nasty kinds of chemicals.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The point of the Dooley is that it's like a septic tank.....so, no, your yard wouldn't smell like poop any more than the yard of someone with a septic tank for their house. There are bacteria added to digest the waste. They do a pretty good job in human septic systems, unless you pour too much bleach down the drain or add some other nasty kinds of chemicals.
I guess my confusion stems from the fact that when I went and looked at the photos of the people creating the homemade Dooley, it was just wide open, whereas a true septic tank is actually underground.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I was looking at one of these too, but I am still undecided. Has anyone tried the worm-farm type of dog poop composter, as opposed to the chemical septic tank like the Doggie Dooley?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I was looking at one of these too, but I am still undecided. Has anyone tried the worm-farm type of dog poop composter, as opposed to the chemical septic tank like the Doggie Dooley?
Surely you aren't suggesting what this sounds like? A pile of worms that simply eats the poop? :eek:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Surely you aren't suggesting what this sounds like? A pile of worms that simply eats the poop? :eek:
Yep, that is pretty much it. You have a double-layered container, and you put poop and poop-eating worms in the top, and processed compost liquid comes out the bottom. Sounds gross, but that is one of the natural ways for waste to be recycled back to a form that is usable by plants. I kind of like the idea, but I am also a tree-hugging environmentalist hippie type, so YMMV.

I was looking at something like this
As they burrow and breed in the pet droppings, the worms will feed on the pathogens and their stomachs will strain out the bacteria and parasites for them to eat as they go. In their wake, the worms will leave behind an increased volume of beneficial bacteria - the same bacteria that digest pathogens and help free up nutrients in the soil. When you fertilize your garden, you can use the worm castings (worm poo) that remain in the top box, as well as a diluted from of the valuable liquid waste collected in the bottom box.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, that is pretty much it. You have a double-layered container, and you put poop and poop-eating worms in the top, and processed compost liquid comes out the bottom. Sounds gross, but that is one of the natural ways for waste to be recycled back to a form that is usable by plants. I kind of like the idea, but I am also a tree-hugging environmentalist hippie type, so YMMV.

I was looking at something like this
Intriguing but not for me :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m wondering if anyone has combined the Dooley and the DIY version. I live in Florida, where the soil is sandy, and I worry that the hole might collapse. I’ve been thinking of installing a bucket or drum, complete with drilled holes and cut-off bottom, underneath the Dooley. I’d love someone’s opinion on this strategy. DD themselves suggest a pvc pipe underneath, but I feel that’s too narrow. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
3,713 Posts
This is a twelve year old thread, so I'm closing it to further replies. Please start a new thread on the topic! None of the members paticipating in this one are active anymore, so you're far more likely to get responses on a new thread than this old one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.