Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided to go ahead and do it. Ordered the test, then took Betty in to get her blood draw this morning at the vet, now to wait for the results. Will let you know how it turns out. Here's the test we did.....

http://www.wisdompanel.com/

It's the only one I could find where they had Australian Cattle Dog in their list of tested breeds. No sense in doing a test where it's not a tested breed.

Also, you can watch the process online as well by entering the Sample number and your last name. Will give it a couple days to get there, and will check the progress.

·
Banned
749 Posts
I checked out the website you listed. It would be cool if you are able to select two breeds and have the picture of the breeds morph into one. That might alleviate all the questions "What breed do you think my dog is?". Of course if that were to happen the DNA company would not make any money.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I checked out the website you listed. It would be cool if you are able to select two breeds and have the picture of the breeds morph into one. That might alleviate all the questions "What breed do you think my dog is?". Of course if that were to happen the DNA company would not make any money.
Morphing two pics together would be no better guess...well than guessing. Genetics is a bit trickier than that...it does not "average traits" to get a result...it does not always "act" theway you might think it would.

I am not saying that with many examples from the past...like a chihuahua and pug mix...the results can be predicted...but there are way too many factors to put a finger on the mix using that method. Phenotype (outward appearance) does not tell you the complete Genotype (actual DNA makeup).

The Blood Type DNA Tests will get better over time and are probabaly the best guess out there for now.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
One of my friends on another forum had this done on their big black and white dog and it came back primarily maltese, lol! I'd love to see what Beau got. It'd be interesting to see. AKC Champion papillon, he'd probably come back a rottweiler mix, lol!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
What are your guesses as to what she's mixed with? She looks like a pure ACD to me, LOL.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I'd also love to send one away on our purebred paps, but too expensive for now. My daughter just did one of the cheek swab tests on her shelter dog. I'll post the results and a picture of McKenna so you can all judge.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am thinking that she is a purebreed ACD. I really don't see anything else myself. Not even Aussie. And as for her personality, I would say it's all ACD as well. But we will see what the test comes up with. Maybe it will say she's a purebreed Malti-Poo, LOL.

Had to get that one in there, was watching Judge Joe Brown today and one of his cases was with 2 girls and 2 dogs. The girls said they had purchased Purebreed Malti-Poos, and said that the other gal that they were sueing had assured they would be teacups, 5lbs or less. Well, they were near 10lbs, lol. The judge brought up a veterinarian to go over the dogs, and the first thing the vet told the courtroom before going over the dogs, is that the dogs are NOT PUREBREEDS. They are HYBRIDS, aka MUTTS, lol. It was an interesting case, lol. But in the end, I think they lost the case because, as the vet also stated in the courtroom, if you take a purebreed and breed it with a purebreed, you get a purebreed. If you breed a purebreed with a purebreed of another breed, you get a HYBRID, aka MUTT. And you cannot promise what size the pups will be because you are mixing genes of 2 different breeds, and the dogs could end up small, medium, or big. Which backs up what the other gal was saying in her defense, that there's no guarantees on size, and she would never say or put in writing anything on this. Was quite the case, LOL.

·
Banned
749 Posts
I bet the reason that the girls even brought the suit was because they could not use the dogs as status symbols and carry them in a purse like Paris Hilton.

I think we need a vomit smiley. Surely my post could use one after Paris's name.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it's been a week now and still nothing on their site. You are supposed to be able to enter your last name and sample number to see where the process is, allows you to follow it through the whole process. But it still gives me invalid credentials. I've got an email in to them now, will see what they say.

·
Registered
361 Posts
We've had this done with two dogs and it was really cool. It's also the test that the vet I work for uses.

So word of warning, it is SLOW! Whatever they tell you add at least a week. They will get back to you with the results and it's worth the wait, but a wait it will be.

I actually want to get one dog re-tested since all it found was some chow and irish setter way back. The thing is, we are pretty sure the dog is a hound mix and at the time we did the test there were no hounds in the database. She does have a chow tongue though and hypothyroidism which is common in irish setters.

The other dog was really cool. She was done recently with all the AKC breeds available. She came back largely Canaan dog with some GSD and Sib husky. We had guessed the GSD but when we looked up pictures of Canaan dog's she resembled them greatly! The only real difference is she is a bit bigger and doesn't carry her tail over her back, both of which could be explained by the other breeds.

Definitely post when you get the results!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did get an email from them. They said the vet sent it regular US Mail, so it was still in transit. Guess I should wait a little longer, lol. They should have it by next week anyways, lol.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Those tests are so inaccurate, lol. They said my dog was a "Cavalier King Charles Spaniel/Dalmatian/Bloodhound/Chinese Shar Pei/Flat Coated Retriever/Labrador Retriever" mix.

This is him:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, from some of the pics that I've seen, there is some resemblence of the Cavalier in the eyes part of the face. The ears have a strong Dalmation resemblance in your last pic. And size could have been picked up by the Shar Pei, as well as the tail curl. And the coat from the retriever. Got to look at the little things. Don't see a lot of Bloodhound though...

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I've seen some weird results from mixed dogs (known parentage). A confirmed Corgi/Pom who mated with a confirmed Lab/ESS whose puppies turned out to look like Whippets, etc. Odd stuff happens genetically. If we don't know what our dogs are mixed with, we really can't say whether the DNA tests are accurate or not. Those who have done DNA tests already knowing their dogs' backgrounds say it's pretty accurate. I'd have to say that my dogs' DNA test results were plausible, at least.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, in watching some of the videos on their site where they did tests on a couple dogs, you couldn't really tell what they were til they explained the results. Then it was pretty clear. I'm just wondering if Betty is going to come up with anything else, or just strong ACD.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I did the test on Mac about a year ago. His results came back with trace amounts of

Boxer, Lab and Australian Terrior

:D

·
Registered
361 Posts
It's also important to remember there are a TON of different tests out there. Some may be more accurate than others. I used the Wisdom MX and it seemed very right on, others might not be.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts