Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had mostly larger breed dogs: Rhod. Ridgeback, Rottweiller & Gold. Retriever. My last dog was a Lhasa x Pom. Loved them all!! My dilema is: we are now retired, have new hardwood floors, live in a subdivision - hot climate. I think I'm looking at a small breed dog now (floors) but I'm concerned about the health issues different breeds seem to be prone to. I had to put my little girl to sleep because of a lot of serious issues and now when I read about health issues associated with different breeds I find myself recoiling! I know you can't be afraid to love again but I do feel a little gun-shy!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Honestly, it's a risk with ANY dog. Personally, I have rescues, because I feel that whether they live 10 months or 10 more yrs, they would probably be dead if not for my getting them. I generally don't end up with purebreds, just because I tend to think they'll find homes more easily than mutts. And my mutts avg about 16 yrs old, for med size dogs. My purebred ones that I did have (Cockers/Lhasas) tended to live to 10-13.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree with a rescue, and if you're nervous, I'd really recommend doing your research and finding a shelter that really takes the time to get to know their dogs and match them with the right owners. The process is often longer and more complicated than with your average municipal pound, but a place that really cares about where their dog ends up will put in the effort to help you find the best possible match for your lifestyle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts