Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two dogs. A male named Brody and a female named Bella.

Brody was rescued as a puppy from a local pet rescue. I adopted him while in a relationship. I signed the paperwork alone. Bella was rescued from the pound a year later. Again, I signed the paperwork alone. Both animals were acquired while I was in my parent's house and soon afterwards my boyfriend and I moved out together.

Now, two years later, we are breaking up. He wants one of the dogs..Bella.

I don't think it would be good to split them up. Also, I believe that I technically own both dogs as my name is on their adoption paperwork. My name is on the vet paperwork. My name is on the SPCA paperwork where we get their shots. My name is on their pet insurance.

Because he has money and I only work part time, he is trying to bully me into court. In your opinion, would he have any legs to stand on here? The point that he could make would be that he is more financially stable. Although my name is on the paperwork, he paid the pet insurance bill and for some of the vet bills. He also bought them a nice brand of dogfood.

I work two part time jobs but I come home in between and take them to the park. My family lives next door and dog sits for the 4 hours I'm at work, even though 4 hours is not an unreasonable time to leave them. The yard that my family and I share is fenced (my mom owns the triplex, I live in one apartment they live in another). My boyfriend works full time and does not have a fenced yard at his new place.

What do you think, could his money warrant him taking one of my dogs?

·
Registered
583 Posts
If your paperwork , receipts and canceled checks using your money for adoption shows you as owner and you were not married, I would think that the law would see the dogs as your property. You may also want to make sure that he can not slip by and take possession of the dogs when you are not around as this would just make things more difficult for you....

EDIT: Do your dogs have a microchip showing you as owner?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
if not, do so immediately
agree'd, dogs are considered property, if your name is legally listed as owner, then you are their owner. period.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
if not, do so immediately
This ^ ...^ ...^ Micro Chip! They cannot be transferred without your written signature and a fee.

Also if you have a yearly license ( State license dog tag ) be sure YOUR current address is proper on it and YOU sign it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I agree with what's been said. I actually had a friend go through this to the point where his ex went to a lawyer to start the whole court-process. The lawyer told her that if all of the paperwork and tags were in her ex-boyfriend's names she'd have a ridiculously hard time getting the dogs.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You could also check with rescues and find some that don't adopt to people without fenced yards and have them send you something showing that, and their reasons (ie not good for dogs health/well being, they feel a fenced yard is a necessary part of being a good owner...not saying I agree with that, but it might be a helpful argument).

·
Registered
482 Posts
Do you have to register your dogs with the town? Is the license in your name? That would help.

But, honestly, I think the adoption records in your name alone would be sufficient. Many rescue and shelter contracts won't even allow you to transfer ownership from the original adopter. All the paperwork on my animals states that...I can't give away the animal, I have to keep them or offer them back to the rescue/shelter.

Dogs, unlike children, are property from a legal perspective. That would be like him trying to get a car that is titled in your name, ain't happening, especially if you were never married. Inidividual property can get sticky in community property states, but if you weren't married, it's a non-issue, the dogs are your property, period. Does he really, really want the dog or is he just trying to hurt you? IMO, he's being a real jerk if he's bullying you on this, I'm glad you are moving on ;).

·
Registered
18 Posts
If he truly cares about the dog, and the dog prefers him then why not give up one of the dogs? If hes being vengeful then you already have won, you have all the legal paperwork you need.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Just to throw this out there, I've heard of unmarried people suing their ex-live-in-boyfriend for support after a breakup. You could always let him know you'll get a lawyer and counter-sue for both dog custody and support if he keeps pushing it. Maybe that'd be enough to make him leave you alone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts