Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! My dog and I have unfortunately been trapped at home due to the huge snow storms that have been coming. All this snow has sparked a question in my head- can dogs get cabin fever? I have definetly suffered from it lately, but my dog, besides the near daily walk around the block, has been stuck at home for weeks now, not doing anything but routeins. I know that if I lived the life of my pup I would die, but does she feel the same way? Please respond! I am very curious! Thanks!

·
Registered
394 Posts
My personal belief is that they do get cabin fever. One of my dogs has lots of energy and gets bored really easy. He goes nuts if he's in too long. He'll pace and whine. I try to come up with games for him but my energy runs low way before his.

I'm in Oklahoma and it was really hard when we had the ice come through and put about 2 inches of sheer ice on the roads. There was no going anywhere for me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I personally believe they can get cabin fever also. When you have a set routine and that is changed to due weather, it affects them as well. I took my shelties routinely on walks every morning before work, after work, before bedtime and to the park. During the cold, wintry Chicago storms, a lot of that either stopped or was severely shortened! I think they were restless as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with what you all say. Wow- Sheltieluver- your dogs must be fit! That is a lot of walks, and I am sure they are happy with all of those walks :).

·
Super Moderator
11,511 Posts
Certainly dogs get cabin fever. They don't read or watch daytime television, so what are they going to do all day? (Surf the internet?)

All dogs need love, discipline and exercise.

We are fortunate in our area. A number of doggie daycare centers have opened up. They have huge indoor play areas (separate ones for large and small breeds) and constant supervision. They go outside at least once-an-hour and, if the weather is suitable, they are outside all day. In the summer, there is a pool for the water dogs (like mine.)

When our dog has to be kenneled, this is where she goes. She plays all day and spends the night crashed out in her her private space.

It's 18 below zero here right now. I think the dog could tolerate it pretty well, but I cannot. Tomorrow she's going to doggie day care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts