Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My spouse and I just brought home a rescue dog this afternoon (approx. age 5 years). She's pretty timid and frightened, but starting to perk up a little bit and sniff around the house. We live on the third floor, so taking her out on leash for every bathroom break and all exercise is necessary. I took her out to pee, and it's apparent she's never learned how to walk on a leash (foster mom had a fenced yard; it didn't occur to me to ask if she had never been walked on a leash). She sniffs a bit, then freezes and refuses to move. With some goading I got her to walk maybe twenty feet, but that's it.

Any tips? I want to give her time to settle in and obviously she's had it pretty rough the last few weeks, but with my living situation we need to get her functional with a leash and equating leash with fun and bathroom breaks both pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I think you have the right idea. With time, patience and some gentle coaxing, she will start to feel more comfortable on leash.

How about attaching the leash while she is hanging out inside? Just let her drag it around, so when you do make your way outside, it won't be a big deal.

If that is not an option, you could try using a long line or flexi lead. It may be the close proximity that has her nervous? I don't recommend these tools often for this reason, but it may help her adjust faster and make your bathroom breaks not so painful!

I believe that once she starts to trust you, the leash walking will come in time.

Pictures, please!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Haha yes I agree, it will take some time :) Here are some helpful ways I taught my 2 puppies to walk on leash
1. Never have tension on it! Always keep it loose, as they'll resist it if it's pulling
2. Definitely have the leash on indoors,
3. Try having another dog walk in front so she can chase him - I know this may be hard, but I had a friend walk my other dog in front, and Butters started running while on leash! It was a miracle lol
4. walk backwards while facing her and coax her to walk towards you with high pitch, excited tones, when she does walk towards you, keep moving back in small steps, and praise her whenever she walks! You're not trying to teach her heel here, you just want her walking while the leash is on her ;)
5. Socialize socialize socialize!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
and don't forget treats! Reward forward movement with positive reinforcement

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened with my puppy. I would try to get him to walk on a lead and he would just stand and shake with nervousness. Instead of using a collar i switched to a harness, this means that he doesn't have to put up with all the tension on his neck, it's spread across his back and tummy. Also when i try to restrain him the collar isn't tightening too much around his neck and making him feel uncomfortable. Also i use a flexee lead. So the pup can walk where he likes within 5 metres, but if i want to restrain him (i.e next to a road) i can do with out him feeling like im trying to control him all the time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Definitely reward constantly; at first reward for every little step and then for ever two steps and so on. It will be a long process, but you will get there ultimately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts