Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 month old small dog is quiet most of the time. He might bark every now and then at a noise or a stranger the 5 second before he falls in love with them and he barks at the opossum that come around at night. But he won't stop barking at my dad. They get along great. He especially loves my dad's belly rubs. But he just gets in the mood to start barking at my dad. Not a happy bark but not an angry one either. I don't know if he just wants attention but it's only at my dad and I try to distract him but it doesn't work. I don't see a pattern either. Different times of the day and my dad's doing different things. It's just me, my mom and dad and some outside cats. Any idea on the cause or a way to stop it?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Sounds like demand barking. Best way to get rid of it is ignore it. It's not an uncommon thing for young dogs to do. He wants attention, so any attention, even scolding or yelling, is good attention. Have your dad continue to go about his day and pretend the dog doesn't exist when he demand barks. It may take a while, but it should stop if the barking is never rewarded in any way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts