Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1yo Newfypoo, and with her thick black hair she gets warm pretty quickly. We now are getting to the 90° days, and while we have AC, we don't keep it very cold in the house and she still is panting like crazy. However, "her" room, as we call it, is the bottom level of our split level and is hands down the coolest place in the house, some days as much as 10° colder than the next level up. She clearly wants to be by us on the upper levels, but when she's not in her cool area, she's just panting constantly. She has constant access to her room, and also water down there, but sometimes I feel like I have to force her down there and put up a baby gate to just let her cool down for 20 minutes or so. Any thoughts to encourage her to do that on her own to keep her cool? I don't like forcing her down there, but I also don't like seeing her just panting like crazy when she's on the upper levels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Give your dog water in all rooms and also don’t force her down there because she will then view her room as a bad thing rather than a good thing. You should try giving her water in all rooms and giving her something like a treat when she is in her room so she knows it is a good thing not a bad thing.

·
Super Moderator
2,628 Posts
A lot of dogs are really motivated to be around their people - we're their whole world in many ways. There are some cooling mats/beds out there that she might take to, or you could buy a couple inexpensive stone tiles from a flooring/home improvement store and put them in a shady spot in your living space for her to lie on. I have that setup for my younger dog, who's very heavily coated and overheats easily. Put some cheap foam puzzle mat under it to protect the wood floors and he spends a lot of the summer sprawled on it. The downside to the tile over the cooling mats is that it's less portable/easy to fold up and put away, but he rarely used the mat and loves the slate tile so we stuck with it.

Also make sure she's getting really thoroughly brushed out regularly. If she has any loose undercoat packed in between her skin and outer coat it'll make her way warmer, so you need to get right down to her skin. Some groomers have blowout services that are specifically about removing as much undercoat as possible using specialized tools and a high-velocity dryer, and that can make a huge difference in the hottest weeks/months of the year!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
DaySleepers had some good advise. I'd also advise to have her tummy and brisket clipped really short, to allow more heat exchange. If you don't want to turn the AC down more, then using some fans to keep the air circulating better might help, as well.

As a side note, a clean ShopVac with the hose on the exhaust port makes a handy DIY version of a forced air dryer if you want to try blowing her out yourself on a regular basis/

Reactions: LittleFr0g
1 - 5 of 5 Posts