Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, (tl;dr at end)

I am writing to ask for advice or tips on housetraining our papillon, who is a little over a year old now. A little backstory - we acquired her from a breeder when she was around 10 wks old, and initially we were housetraining her with pee pads due to mobility issues on my end, as well as living in an apt. on the 4th floor where it wasn't quick to get her outside to pee. That went well enough, and we did have occasional accidents, but nothing major. We then moved to another apt., still on a higher floor, so we kept to the pads, however, eventually we found that she had piddled in places without us knowing it..on the bed, couch.. It was a mess and resulted in heavy cleanings, but we managed all the same and were overall happy with her progress.

Now, we have moved to a first floor apt. (finally!) with a small fenced in yard. We have decided now to housetrain her to go outside, however, we're having some issues so far. The main problem is that she will go outside perfectly when it comes to urinating, however, we cannot get her to poop at all outdoors. She is on a fixated schedule for eating, yet she will hold everything in (except urine) all day, and then finally in the middle of the night, poop in the crate (sometimes more than once) even right after having taken her out. Yesterday she did twice, the night before once, and today I took her out as usual, came back inside and tethered her to me (she can't be trusted alone yet), and then while I turned my back for literally a split second to get something, she squatted right behind me to poop.

I'm not sure why this is happening, why she won't do #2 outside but has no trouble at all with #1. We take her outside every 1-2 hours to ensure she's having enough access, and she will poop inside sometimes literally right after taking her out. We give her time to explore the yard as well, and she does plenty of sniffing and running around, but she just absolutely won't do #2. I am worried this will grow to be a recurring problem, and already I am barely getting any quality sleep, taking her out every 2-3 hours at night to use the bathroom. Doesn't seem to matter how much we take her out, since at some point during the night I will wake up to another crate full of poo. :( I apologize for the long long post, but I just want to get all the details out that I can think of, hoping someone will have some guidance for this problem.

Tl;dr - Our 1yr. old papillon won't poop outside when we take her out, waits until late at night to do it in the crate or will do it in the apt, sometimes right after having gone outside. Seems to hold it in all day until that point..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since posting yesterday, it just seems to have gotten worse. She's had several more accidents, even after following the above. I now can't put her in the crate late at night to do anything, because of the fear that she will poop it under. -.-

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Have you checked with the vet to make sure she doesn't have an parasites or anything that would be affecting her poops?

It was harder and easier to housebreak my dog to poop outside. Harder because while he 'got' peeing when we went outside, the idea of pooping outside seemed to elude him. However, it was easier when I figured out that when he had to poop, his butt would start to bulge, and as long as I kept an eye on his rear I could figure he'd need to go out and take him.

Can you try shifting your dog's feeding schedule to earlier in the day so more time elapses before bed? That would give you more opportunities to take her out in the evening to see if she'll go. When she goes inside, can you put her poop out in the yard? The smell might clue her in. My dog likes pooping in the same places in the yard. Have you tried going on walks v. just going out in the yard? Walking gets the bowels moving! At this point, I'd also consider saving your sanity, and setting her crate up open in an expen with some newspaper down and hope she'll come OUT of her crate and just poop on the paper and at least it'll be easier to clean up while you work on this. If you're getting up every 2-3 hrs and it still isn't preventing her from pooping in her crate, I'd stop torturing yourself, start working on just getting her out of the habit of using the crate as a bathroom, and get a few good night's sleep in so you don't get tempted to sell the dog to the circus :)

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
If she is used to going on pads, have you tried putting a pad outside on the grass? This might at least help her realize the location she is supposed to go in and then you can phase them out?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts