Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 9 year old yorkie, who always has had issues when it comes to house training, however, he does pretty well. He will have an accident, which is usually urine. He has no issues pooping and peeing outside in the morning when I leave him out. He has been recently going ot my boyfriend's with me and he will not poop in his yard, then when we come home, we come home having to clean up poop. I'm not really sure why he won't go in his yard, he has gone a few times, but he has stopped now. Any suggestions or reasons as to why this is happening?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Maybe he doesnt like something in the yard? Have you tried ( which sounds weird) putting his accident in the yard so he can smell it/mark as opposed to just cleaning it up inside and throwing it away? What about puppy pads? Do you crate train? That can help with accidents. Do you just let him out or go walk out with him?

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
My in-laws have a schnauzer who will not pee or poop in her yard, she must be taken for a walk to eliminate, every time. Some dogs are just quirky that way, and there are theories behind the behavior - such as recognizing the space as part of their home and not wanting to dirty it.

Since your yorkie has accidents, I would start by getting him out more frequently and rather than putting him in the yard (even a yard where he will eliminate) just take him for a walk, bringing his treats along too and go at his pace. If he's a sniffer, let him sniff, and when he pee's reward him. Even if it's simply marking, it's still ultimately emptying his bladder which is the overall desired behavior. If he gets rewarded every time he does this, there is a greater chance of him fully alleviating himself and hopefully this will help with the accidents in the household.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
My dog simply will not go within a block of my apartment. It's a behavior that's more common in hounds, but you do see it in other breeds.

However, it sounds to me like maybe he got frightened by something at the boyfriends while he was pooping, and now won't poop there. It might just be a matter of taking him for a walk or you might have to counter condition him to the yard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts