Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently adopted two rescues.Bubbles, a pomeranian/cavalier king charles mix and Bambi, an italian greyhound/Chihauhau mix. Both are aprox 1 year. We adore them!!! They lived in a foster home together where we were told they were trained to go on pee pads. Since living in our apartment they haved both had accident as expected. We are concered the most about Bambi who will not pee or poo on walks. She isn't fond of grass, ignores our pee pad, and will go inside promptly after going outside. She goes right infront of us....one time on the bed! The only times she has gone 'outside' have been in the elevator on the way outside, outside our our apartment door (we live inside an apartment buliding so this is not ideal!), and on our balcony. We know not to punish her for going but we never get to praise her for doing the right thing. We don't have an area where we can just let her off the leash to let her go to the bathroom with out us being close and we bouth leashes with long leads. We are crate training as well, so if they are not right by us then they are in the crates. Unfortunately she still goes right in front of us and all we can do is toss her on the balcony (we are on 3rd floor)but that isn't where we want her to learn to go either. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I really suggest that you do not leave either one of them on a third story balcony, sorry but that makes me nervous just thinking about it.

Does this apartment complex have a caged tennis court? I'm sure they don't mind if you unleash them there, if you clean up after them well. Just bring a bottle of water to wash off the area. Then you can praise them if they go, because it'll be outside. Then slowly move to having them leashed when in the court.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't worry we dont leave them alone on the balcony and we have doogy proofed it so they cant get their heads through, Unfortunately no tennis courts. Thanks for your idea though

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm definitely not a dog trainer, but here's what worked with my beagle pup a couple years back. We were in a condo, and had a similar issue. Understanding that at a year a dog should be well able to control it's bladder/bowel, it's a matter of teaching them where they are allowed to go in their new home. I achieved this by the following:

1. get them on a strict potty schedule - ie: as soon as they wake up, 30 mins after they eat, immediately before going in the crate; approx every hour (until you learn their frequency), unless they're in their crate
2. keep them tethered to you when in the house, until you trust them - this really helps alert you to any signals they're sending (ie: sniffing about, walking in circles); since you're crate training, crate them if you can't have them tethered
3. when you go outside, go straight to the same spot every time, and stay there until they go - sometimes this takes a while (my current pup loved to sit for about 3 minutes at first, before going) - once they go, praise praise praise, treat, and take them for a short walk
4. if you take them out and they absolutely won't go, bring them back inside and straight into the crate - leave them about 10 or 15 mins, then back outside

I use the phrase 'go pee!' with my dogs, and my older one will go almost any time I say it. My pup is learning, and when I get her out of her crate and say 'lets go pee!' she runs to the front door and waits to go out.

Once they understand where they're supposed to go, and they get the schedule, you should see fewer accidents.

EDIT: you should also make sure to rule out any health issues. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
It could be that they're too excited by their new environment to stop exploring long enough to "go." How long are you outside for when you take them? Try taking them to a designated spot that is separate from their walk time, so they know when it's time to explore and when it's time to go. With my Pomeranian, we moved when she was about a year old and she needed to be trained all over again in the new house. We would sit outside with her as long as it took until she peed. At first, she would just sniff and try to play for 15-20 minutes before finally going. It took a lot of time and patience but eventually she learned the new place she was expected to pee and she went almost immediately once outside.

This is kind of a random idea, but have you considered litter box training them? I've never met someone who has actually done this, but there are YouTube videos that teach you how to train a dog to use the litter box. Perhaps the dogs are too nervous to go outside and a covered litter box (if you can find one big enough - not sure their size) will give them the feeling of safety they need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts