Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dog (a little over a year) willingly goes to her crate during the day on her own and when we ask her to. It's part of our training regime and whenever we leave during the day we tell her to go to her crate, she does so willingly, we treat her, and lock her up. She has no problem with any of that. The issue has arisen in recent weeks where she won't do it when we are going to bed. Last night, for instance, we happily told her crate and her ears went back, she backed into a corner in the living room, and would snap at us whenever we got near her. Using a playful voice, luring with treats, etc. didn't work. We eventually got a leash on her and led her to the crate.

The crate is in our spare room and won't fit in the room where we sleep. We don't fully trust her to roam as she's shown a propensity to chew in the past.

Any thoughts/advice?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If she has no problems with going to her crate when you're leaving the house, I suppose we can rule out separation anxiety. I second the guy that said it could be a fear stage. The puppy will likely get over it so long as you keep up with your normal crate training regime unless your methods of reinforcement are no longer worth it for the pup. To help your pup learn faster, I'd recommend using "jackpot" rewards once she's inside the crate but use this only for bedtime. Even if you had to get her on the leash to encourage her to step inside the crate, mark and give a BIG reward as soon as she's in. Don't be skimpy! Use only special treats that you don't use on regular training sessions and loads of it! I'm talking at least a couple handfuls. Again, use jackpots only for nighttime and this issue should resolve fairly quickly. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I have always used Kongs in my dog crates and my dogs willingly race into their crates no matter the time of day as they know they are going to get one. I have several in my freezer stuffed with usually some canned dog food. My little dogs are not crated and their favorite thing is going into the crates in the morning when I let the big dogs outside, and bring the Kongs into the kitchen to try and get the little bits left in them. Makes it easy for me to gather them up and fill them for the next time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts