Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is a 1 Year and 8 months old and he won't entertain himself. If I'm sitting on the floor he will go and chew on his nylabone or play with a rope on his own, but as soon as I sit on the couch, walk away or he is left alone in the room, he stops and sits in a certain spot or sleeps. I know it sounds like he's really well behaved, but it seems OCD to me. And I want him to be able to do enjoyable things when I'm away or in the house doing my own thing. I've tried putting the toys right in front of him or in his mouth but he just puts it down. I've tried praising him if he does start chewing or playing but he immediately stops and looks at me all excited. What can I do to teach him to occupy himself?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You could get one of those treat dispensers that holds kibble and feed him from that. It would keep him occupied for awhile because that would be the only way he'd get to eat. I have a poodle that doesn't play with toys-that's just the way he is. I've given up trying to teach him. He'll chew on a bully stick, but that's the extent of it.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Most dogs tend to sleep a lot of the time they're left alone. It sounds totally normal to me.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Donatello does pretty much the same thing.

When we're in the living room, so is he, chewing on his bones or playing with toys. He's entertaining himself. I look at it like, dogs are social creatures they want to enjoy their favorite things in the company of their favorite people. So when we're not around they wait patiently for our return so we don't miss out on the action.

I've never thought about it hard enough to try and change it. I would rather my dog sit/stay/sleep while I'm gone, then wondering what shoe he may have mistakenly found to "play" with.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Yeah, mind lays in bed like 99% of the time and sometimes grabs a toy and runs around barking til I play with her, so I do and then she hides under the bed to sleep some more/chew on her toys.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
You have a dog that just lays down if you leave it alone? Mind trading me for Shambles? He'll show you a dog that entertains himself all right..

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Seriously be grateful. When you have a dog that entertains himself, you have a lot of damage and destruction. Dogs are social, they enjoy being around you, showing off, and playing even in your company if not with you. Leave it be, don't create a dog that has to be entertained non stop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! It does sound silly of me to want to change him when he's so good. I just wanted to make sure he's happy. Thanks for putting things in perspective!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts