Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little dog that is almost a year old now. We recently changed her food, because her last food, she would only eat when she was really hungry. Every time we poured her food, she would sniff and walk away. I know she's hungry because she sniffs around for food and begs for it when someone else has some. She is now doing the same to the new food. Both are supposed to be high quality etc. Any advice? THanks :)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
After ruling out anything medical, I would say she's just being fussy ;)

Do you put the food down for 15 minutes and then pick it up? If not, I'd start doing this. What are you currently feeding? I know with Loki we went through a lot of different foods and finally settled on raw because of his fussiness. In all fairness though, we created a bigger problem by catering to it - we used toppers, changed food, you name it. With raw he eats much more consistently.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I agree with Loki, assuming there is nothing medically wrong, try the 15 minute rule. A healthy dog will eat eventually, even if it's not as much as you think he/she should--especially smaller breeds. Ace used to be like that when we first got him, but it was because he was used to free-choice feeding. I'd avoid using toppers or mixing "better" things into the food because it'll just cause her to be even pickier.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I'd avoid using toppers or mixing "better" things into the food because it'll just cause her to be even pickier.
Agreed (at least in our experience this is what happened). I do know of other people who have great success with using a variety of toppers to keep their dogs interested.. but if I could go back, I would certainly never use toppers with kibble again.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Agreed (at least in our experience this is what happened). I do know of other people who have great success with using a variety of toppers to keep their dogs interested.. but if I could go back, I would certainly never use toppers with kibble again.
I tried the toppers at first because I was worried he wasn't going to eat and he started to just eat what I topped the food with (usually cut-up boiled chicken breast). I also mixed in a about a tablespoon of chicken broth to entice him and slowly did less and less. After about a month, he realized that this was the food (It's TOTW for goodness sake! lol) and it was the only option and now he eats MUCH better.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I agree with the 15 min rule. I wouldn't do a topper unless you can continue as some dogs get used to it.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Assuming the dog has been seen by a vet and deemed healthy:

- Weigh the dog daily at the same time. If your dog won't fit on the scale - pick up the dog and weigh yourself and the dog. Then reweigh yourself and subtract.
- Feel the dog's sides. If the ribs are able to felt easily but not seen the dog is a good weight. Dogs should also have a "waist" of sorts.
- Put the food down for 15 minutes and only 15 minutes. Pick it up at the end of the 15 minutes.
- No topper or extras to entice the dog to eat.
- I have never heard of a healthy dog starving itself to death. The dog will eventually give.
- Inspect the bowl for any sharp edges, points or rough edges that may be hurting the dog when it eats.

The exceptions I make:
- Medical. Misty recently had two teeth extracted. I am wetting her food and giving her longer to eat right now while her mouth heals. I will also give longer/enticement if the dog is ill.
- If the dog is actively eating (not just picking at the food) I will leave the food down for 5 more minutes especially if the dog began eating as soon as I put the food down.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I had that problem with kibble/toppers. She'd refuse to eat until she threw up bile from having an empty stomach. Then I picked up some Ziwipeak and I have had no problems getting Casbah to eat anymore. I do rotate between Sojos, Honest Kitchen and ZP. But her fussiness hasn't returned. She just hates kibble no matter what it's topped with but runs to the kitchen and hops around waiting for me to feed her any of the dehydrated foods. Now the only problem I have is that she scarfs it down too fast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our pup had trouble wanting to eat around the one year mark when we changed him from puppy kibble to adult dog food. (He hadn't wanted to eat when we first got him either, but that ended up being a mild respiratory infection that was easily treated with antibiotics and he ate like a dream after that.)

At age 1 he didn't like most of the foods we felt were appropriate healthier dog foods. I finally got desperate since he wouldn't even eat the food with a topper. We took him to the pet store food aisle and started walking slowly down the aisle. If he stopped to sniff at a bag I would pick it up and let him get a better sniff at it. The one we finally chose to try is the one for which he obviously wanted to get into the bag. He still eats it and eats it with enthusiasm. Though I wouldn't have selected it for its health qualities, it isn't too bad and he's very healthy according to our vet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts