Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I have taken my dog (14 year old golden named Lisa) to the vet twice in the last 5 days. She had blood in her stool so I took her in right away. They put her on antibiotics and a "dog pepcid." Plateletes very low, slightly anemic, BUN high.
She had a slight fever but it was gone the second time I took her in 3 days later.

Since the first visit she hasn't eaten, so I took her in again yesterday because it's not like her not to eat anything.

She had a few crackers yesterday and won't eat them since. She won't even eat peanut butter anymore for her medicine. She's drinking ok but every time she wakes up she dry heaves, about 4 times a day. Nothing comes out but she still won't eat. The vet said to keep an eye on her when she was in yesterday but that was it. I kinda felt like I was wasting his time------he checked and made sure there was no more blood in her stool and she doesn't have a fever. But that's it.

What can I do to make her eat, and how many days is too many without eating anything substantial? She hasn't eaten anything much at all in 4 days but drinks ok. I don't want to take her to the vet again because I don't want him to not do anything again because she doesn't have a fever or bloody stool. She is noticably weaker but can still get up, wags her tail a little even. She smells weird. I'm afraid she's dying but I don't know why the vet wouldn't just say that so now I'm afraid I'm overreacting, except since she won't eat I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Trust your instincts. They are telling you something is not right and she isn't getting the care she needs. Find another Vet, ASAP.

I would try getting some plain white chicken breast and boiling it with rice. See if she will eat that. If she won't you can also try eggs; most dogs wont turn them down. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She won't eat rice or chicken, just turns her head. I have some eggs at home I could scramble and see. My doctor is very thorough, I don't know what I need to tell him to try to do something else but he acts like she'll just get over it.

But now it's too late to go anywhere but the ER, and I can't afford that. I hope she survives tonight at least.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
You can try doing some home made broth (either chicken, or liver) and see if she'll drink that (even if you water it down). It would give her body some much needed nutrients at least.

If you do the chicken broth, skim off as much fat as possible, as that's harder for the body to digest.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I feel for you! Our dog wouldn't eat when she had liver failure, found an ER vet and they made sure she was hydrated by keeping her overnight. Try to get pedialyte into her by spoon feeding, it will make her at least feel better and hydrate her. Wishing you the best.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
The last time I had a dog with blood in the stool, it was worms of somekind. Have you had any tests on it?

Dog was very lethargic, and pooped red all the time.

To me, it sounds like the Vet isn't telling you something or not testing for something. But I would not wait too long to see an ER for dehydration. Not eating for more than 2 or 3 days is my limit. I have some stubborn dogs who sometimes refuse to eat, but will get hungry enough to eat after a day or two of play. If they don't eat after that, and don't want to play, then something is wrong.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What medication is your dog on?
Do you feed your dog any human foods, if so what?
What is she normally fed for a food (brand, wet/dry, amount?) and what have you tried to get her to eat: canned food? Heated canned food? 3:1 ratio of cooked rice/hamburger?
How is the dogs energy level? Same as always, lethargic etc.

It sounds to me as thought you should be seeking out a second opinion. Why is she anemic? (did the doctor say if it was regenerative or non-regenerative? they should have looked at a blood smear). Why is her kidney value (BUN) elevated? Did the veterinarian discuss wanting to repeat the blood work at any point? These are things that should be looked into. If she is dry heaving and not eating, I would think a further work up is required to find out what is going on, such as repeat blood work, x-rays, urinalysis etc. This is not a wait and see situation IMO.

If you don't see an emergency veterinarian tonight (try borrowing money from a friend/family/neighbor) then I highly recommend seeking a second opinion with another veterinarian in the morning. There is no harm in seeing another veterinarian and having them review the medical records and diagnostics performed. Sometimes a second set of eyes can see something one veterinarian may have missed. This is in no way saying your veterinarian is no good, he or she could be great but they don't know everything. A second opinion may find something your veterinarian hasn't - we're only human after all.

I wish you and your girl luck and I hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My dog, Repo had a similiar event about 2 months ago. He drank a lot of water but refused to eat. I bought baby food in the jar (turkey and vegetable) and a took the needle out of a turkey baster and force fed him. Just a little every couple of hours. Finally, on the second vet visit, he was diagnosed with diabeties. I then started insulin injections but still had to force feed for a day or 2. He's doing good now. Good luck and hope you let us know how Lisa is doing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts