Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a Newfoundland and a Rhodesian Ridgeback who are both about 2 years old. We got the Ridgeback first, then got the Newfy at 6 months. Initially, when we first got him he was food aggressive toward the Ridgeback, never humans though, and we were able to get a handle on that and control it pretty quick. He's never had any feeding issues since and we always feed them together. But recently, the Newfy has been exhibiting some very odd behavioral issues. He used to just stand there and wait for the Ridgeback to be finished eating and then he would begin. But now it's gotten weirder. I even asked my vet about it and she was stumped. Here's what's been happening:

We feed them together. The Ridgeback always finishes first. The Newfy will just stand there and watch the Ridgeback eat. Once the Ridgeback is finished, then the Newf will look at his food and just stare at it for a long time. If anyone else - human or dog - is in the room he will not eat, he'll just stare at it for a long time and eventually sit or lay down and refuse to eat. If you try to put a kibble in his mouth he spits it out (we feed them Eukenuba Large Breed Adult). However, if we make sure no one else is in the room, then he will stand there for a long time looking at his food and eventually he will eat it, after some struggle. He often will walk away from the food 3 or 4 times and we'll have to turn him around and lead him back to his bowl (and then leave again, of course) before he will finally eat. Once he starts chomping though, anyone - human or dog- can walk around in the room and he'll continue to eat without interruption.

Sometimes, however, he won't eat at all and skips the meal, which is very concerning to us. He's not underweight, but I fear if this behavior continues, he may start to loose too much weight. He is healthy, happy and active aside from this issue.
Like I said, our vet was stumped - she'd never heard anything like this before. Any suggestions as to what might be going on and how we can resolve it are greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Did the vet do any tests? Changes in eating habits are a huge red flag for a lot of health issues with dogs. I would get a second opinion.

Also, You might want to look into changing the food. Check out dogfoodadvisor.com Eukanube is okay, but for the same price, you could get a better food like Taste of the Wild, Wellness, Blue, etc. (The better the food, the less of it you feed, so more expensive foods can often end up being the same price, or even less.)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Food change might help. My foster was on an okay food, but I got him a bag of really good food yesterday. His dinner last night and breakfast today were the only times he's eaten enthusiastically without wandering away from his bowl, looking at me, or whatever random things he does.

If it's not the food, it could just be that he's not comfortable eating when anyone is around. Feed them separately, maybe have him in the kitchen and the other outside. Try walking by and dropping treats in his bowl to get him comfortable with people passing by and being there when he's eating.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd definitely change to a better food. You can feed less of it, which makes up the the increase in cost. Good foods include: Acana, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Welness Core, Innova Prime, Evo, and Fromm. Some also like Orijen, but it gives some dogs diahrrea b/c it's so rich. Taste of the Wild is also a good food, but it's a Diamond product, which has had recalls lately. I'm feeding TOTW to my poodle and Innova Prime to my westie mix. Eventually, they'll both hopefully be on Innova Prime.

I'd also feed the dogs in separate rooms or in their crates to see if that helps. I feed Maddie in her crate and Potsie loose, which makes them both relax during feeding time. They don't have to worry about the other coming over and scarfing the other ones's food (yes, yapper dogs can be chow hounds!!).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts