Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought a shih tzu. They fed her rice meals 2 years . I bought all kind of dog foods but she wont eat them. I am worried about her health since she gets no nutrients from food she eats daily.

She is not allowed to eat beef, chicken, fish and more..
Any suggestions on how I could make her eat dog food?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Would she be allowed a grain free Lamb dog food? You must read all the ingredients to be sure there is none of the other meats in it though. :) Grains can be an allergy issue also. I have one dog who can only eat grain-free foods and fish. :(

Is it certain that she is allergic to these other meat proteins? Allergies are so tricky and frustrating! :/

To get my dogs who are not allergic to chicken ... to eat dog food ... I add a little boiled chicken breast ... but since you cannot ... maybe add some canned lamb food to the dry kibble? Make it a little more moist and even heat it a tad. Sometimes the warm food smells better to them. Also you could add a little rice just to make the dog feel like it is a little familiar.

Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If she has allergies maybe her tummy hurts and she doesn't want to eat?

Can you find Natural Balance limited ingredient kibbles or other limited ingredient kibbles in your area or by mail order?

Once you find something new she hasn't shown a reaction to yet try adding a little water or broth made from the some sort of meat or use a little of the matching canned food with a little water so it is tastier for her.

·
Registered
891 Posts
She had bacterial infection and skin irritation because of those food.
Many times dogs who present with food allergies do not have them when fed raw version of those foods. Dogs NEED meat. Lots of red meat, some bone & some organ. Check out the stickies in this forum on raw feeding your dog.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She likes eating meat, rice, and bread, but I cut off the meat (except pork) when the Vet asked me to.

Thank you for all your replies, I am going to check for foods you suggested. We only have few dog food selections here in our area, might gonna look for more options from what we have here. :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
She likes eating meat, rice, and bread, but I cut off the meat (except pork) when the Vet asked me to.

Thank you for all your replies, I am going to check for foods you suggested. We only have few dog food selections here in our area, might gonna look for more options from what we have here. :)
Dogs should not be eating only one protein. They can develop an allergy to it.

I am a little confused though, is she eating a homemade diet that you cook? or is it a dry food/kibble that you buy in the store?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dogs should not be eating only one protein. They can develop an allergy to it.

I am a little confused though, is she eating a homemade diet that you cook? or is it a dry food/kibble that you buy in the store?
She's eating homemade food. I tried all possible ways to let her eat dry food from store. Since protein are much more important for dogs as what the Vet said, but she's only wants food rich in Carbs like rice. I bought her Pedigree and Alpo brands of dog food since that is what we have here, but she wont eat it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
She's eating homemade food. I tried all possible ways to let her eat dry food from store. Since protein are much more important for dogs as what the Vet said, but she's only wants food rich in Carbs like rice. I bought her Pedigree and Alpo brands of dog food since that is what we have here, but she wont eat it.
Vets aren't famous for their nutritional information. In fact, they get almost no education in this area while in vet school and what they do get is frequently given by food company reps. Pedigree and Alpo are absolutely dreadful foods. I don't blame her for not eating it. I'd cut out the rice, which isn't species specific food and get this dog onto a Prey Model Raw diet. You don't need to cook, just give raw. There is lots of info on raw feeding on this forum as well as out there on the web.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Vets aren't famous for their nutritional information. In fact, they get almost no education in this area while in vet school and what they do get is frequently given by food company reps. Pedigree and Alpo are absolutely dreadful foods. I don't blame her for not eating it. I'd cut out the rice, which isn't species specific food and get this dog onto a Prey Model Raw diet. You don't need to cook, just give raw. There is lots of info on raw feeding on this forum as well as out there on the web.
I agree with this, or you can get a fresh premade frozen raw diets that contain muscle meat, bones and organs as well. I definitely suggest raw diets for dogs that have food allergies, intolerances, pickiness, or health issues. It usually seems to solve the problem.

Dont continue feeding rice - it is not necessary or beneficial to a dogs diet, same with the bread. Also, I wouldn't listen much to what the vet says when it comes to food and nutrition, they are not well educated in this department.

I would recommend doing some research on a raw diet. Good luck :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts