Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently got 2 maltipoos (1 male & 1 female) from a previous owner who couldn't take care of them due to her personal circumstances. They're both 4 years old and in good health. Lucy has this weird thing where she does not want to come inside after a morning or afternoon walk. I know some of you are probably going to point out to me she wants to stay outside because she needs to go potty. That is the not the reason. This is AFTER we have finished our walk and she has done a #1 or #2. Once we make it back to the house, she'll just plop down on the front lawn and refuse to come inside. It's annoying when I have something important to do like .... getting ready for a job interview and I don't have time to waste. I call her by name and say "Let's go inside" repeatedly 3 or 4 times. She'll just look at me and refuse to come. Eventually I give up and go inside the house with just Linus who is happy to come inside with me no problems. By the time I remove the harness from Linus and wipe off his paws, I'll take a peek out the screen door and Lucy is usually sitting right by the door waiting to come inside.

I am a first time pet owner and I know the importance of using positive reinforcement. She responds well to treats (usually) and I've tried to bribe her that way, but still she refuses to come. The funny thing is that she will come to me when I call her name all other occasions, e.g. going for a car ride, going to bed, etc. For some reason, she just does not want to come back inside after our daily walk. She is a good girl 90% of the time and is affectionate like her brother.

My guess here is that she enjoys being outdoors more than her brother?? I went out and bought a tie out stake and cable so that she can hang out on the front lawn to her hearts content. However there are times when I don't want her out there like when the summer heat is very high or when I have somewhere important I need to be. How can I train her to come inside without using force? By force I mean giving her a nudge in the rear or picking her up in my arms and taking her inside. I've had them for roughly 2 months by the way.

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
1,133 Posts
It sounds like she does just like to relax a bit outside after her walk. Here are some ideas:

Try taking them out a bit earlier than necessary so you have the time to let her sit outside afterwards for a bit.

Rather than "bribing" her with treat, reward her. What this means is instead of holding out the treat and calling her (ie, if you come here, I'll give you a treat), when she comes in give her a treat (ie, you came in you wonderful little girl, here's a treat!). It's a subtle difference, but makes a world of difference. Include tons of praise when you reward her. Praise has become undervalued in the days of treat training, but can be as powerful as treats. When she does what you want her to do, praise her like she just got up on her back legs and danced a ballet. Show her how much her behavior pleases you - this is far more important than showing displeasure at bad behavior.

Make coming inside something fun. Too often, coming inside means the end of fun for a dog - no more playing, no more smells and sights, etc. - and so the dog ignores your call so she can keep having her fun. So, have a game or activity for when you come back inside. A few minutes of playtime with a favorite toy, a game of hide and seek or "find it", etc. Even giving her tons of praise and/or a brushing (if she likes to be brushed) can give her a reason to come inside.

Never call her and yell, scold, or punish her. When you call her, it should ALWAYS be a positive thing - ALWAYS.

Reactions: K9luv

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Just a thought.. BUT what if you started feeding the dogs when you get back from a walk?

I know it might mess with their poop schedule but you probably wouldn't have to do it forever and it might make going inside after a walk more valuable to the dog.

·
Registered
246 Posts
When my pup was very young, he didn't like coming home either, he wanted to keep walking, but I was trying to limit his excersise for his developing joints. Anyway, I started leaving him a "jackpot" of treats by scattering 5-10 treats on the floor at the entrance for him to sniff and find. At the same time, I say the word "home". After that, I never had a problem with him wanting to keep walking and it kind of put a finale cap on the walk that he was satisfied with.

Might take a bit because she doesn't respond to treats as a bribe, but maybe she will want to come in if you just walk in nonshalant and just bust out the jackpot. Dogs like jackpots because it's a bunch of treats at once and they get to chase them as they roll or sniff them out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts