Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is a corgi, they bark when the wind blows. When I first got him he cried a lot and barked, so I we got a complaint. So I bought a vibrate collar, and he is mostly quiet now. He will do a couple of barks then stop. When it’s another dog, he barks but low, and under his voice. The problem is beau when he is playing with another dog, and the dog is becoming to aggressive, or overwhelming. He will not bark, when it’s really too much, he will try and run. This happened as of late, but he got hurt. I wanna show him it’s okay, especially because other dogs do that to him. Plus, I would rather him not be in pain, because he wanted to play. What should I do?

·
Super Moderator
12,163 Posts
It is not your dogs job to protect himself by barking. It is your job to protect him by avoiding or removing him from situations where he might get hurt.

·
Super Moderator
2,517 Posts
Many dogs who get rude and overstimulated while playing and don't listen to body language signals of their play partner will also not listen to a bark. Sometimes vocalizations amp them up further. So your pup barking at a dog who's playing too rough really will not solve the issue - the best approach in these circumstances is for you to step in and remove your dog from the situation before he's so stressed he feels like he needs to run away.

There's a limit to how far you can let dogs 'work things out'. Allowing these kinds of interactions regularly will teach your dog that other dogs are stressful and unpredictable, creating anxiety and rude, fear-aggressive behavior around other dogs. Especially if your corgi is still a puppy! They need to learn how to interact with other dogs in a controlled setting, ideally from dogs who have good doggy social manners and can demonstrate how to play and interact politely and appropriately. The only thing a puppy (or even adolescent) learns from 'playing' with rude, overstimulated dogs is how to be rude, overstimulated, and defensive back - and it's usually not a very fun experience for either dog in the end.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Some dogs are not really aggressive so you don't need to worry. From my experience, my shy dog would do that and I would just rub his belly right away to remove her stress. She's a quiet dog which I really prefer and she's just not into barking when she feels terrified.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts