Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my morning walk around 6am with my dog I noticed little worms in my dogs stool. They looked a lot like the eggs from a tapeworm. My dog is 6 months old and otherwise seems healthy. I noticed he has stopped gaining weight, and only going up a little each week. But I thought that was because he had almost reached his adult weight. He's a mix weighing around 24lbs and everyone I've seen says he looks about done growing (in other words his feet and body match if that means anything).

So I called the vet's office when they opened at 8am and they said they need me to bring in a fresh sample of stool. I said he ususally only goes once a day and the sample here is over an hour old, and I didn't think to refridgerate it. I asked if I could bring the dog in today so they could get a sample there instead of waiting for him to go again. I don't want him to have to wait all weekend with this (who knows how long he's had this now). They said he can't come in today and the next appointment would be in two weeks. I'm going to hope he poops again before 4pm so I can run it to the vet but I doubt that's going to happen.

I just feel like ranting right now because I can't get him the de-worming medicine now. Just so you know I'm an American (military family) living in Japan so the vet on base is really all there is for me. I don't speak any Japanese and really want all his records in english just in case we move to a place like Hawaii next who have strict quarantine rules. I heard that if certain records aren't in english I could have trouble getting the shorter quarantine time. Sorry this was so long, just worried.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
First of all I'm not a vet.

But my dog actually got tapeworms just last week and this is information from my vet. Stools samples only need to be less than 24hr old or atleast that's what I thought. My dog's was refrigerated though, so that may make a difference.

Tapeworms are from eating an infected flea so you might want to check your puppy for fleas. Mine didn't have fleas so all i needed to do was treat for the worm. Otherwise you would need to treat the fleas too to get rid of the worms.

The worms itself can't get transmitted without fleas. I don't know if that affects the quarantine situation :confused:?

I would definitely recommend you listen to your vet and give them a stool sample so they can test for other parasites as well. A few more days with tapeworms shouldn't hurt your puppy much though he's probably not too comfortable. Poor guy :(.

If you really can't wait, you could try ordering Panacur C. It's the de-wormer that my vet gave my dog. I don't know if you could get it in japan but some online sources might ship it? But then I guess you'll have to wait a few more days anyways.

If you do find it somewhere and decide to get it, it comes in a box of three 1,2, or 4 gram packages, depending on your dog's body weight. For 24lb, you would feed him 3 grams so you need both the 1 and 2 gram packages. You feed it with food (i mixed it in yogurt) once (3 grams) every day for three consecutive days. You shouldn't see any worms then.

Hope your puppy feels better soon.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Zhaor

I don't think tapeworm can be transmitted by fleas, you might be thinking of a different type of worm.

Tape worm eggs are the size of a large grain of rice and so they are far too large for a flea to carry.

I beleave they get tapeworm from eather eating an infected animal, or eating the poop from an infected animal.

My cat gets tapeworm almost monthly. thats my experiance level with it lol

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Tapeworms are transmitted mainly by fleas: http://www.dr-dan.com/tapeworm.htm

Anyway, the vet records that would affect the quarantine issue would only be those regarding rabies vaccination. Make sure only the military vet gives your dog rabies vaccine.

But you can go to an off-base vet for dewormer. There might be a translation problem, though. I grew up on a military base in Japan (where are you? I grew up on Fleet Activities Sasebo and NAF Atsugi), and although our cats never needed to see an off-base vet, several friends of ours did take their pets off-base. A Japanese friend to translate is a good idea.

ETA: Saw you're in Okinawa....nice place. We went there for vacation. Which base?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
That is strange but there is the proof. How would that work? I can't imagin the mechanics.

EDIT:
I read the site. it's interesting, My cat eats baby rabbits and mice and shrews all the time, I wonder which type he gets.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Keechak

In dogs, the grain of rice is actually a segment of the tapeworm that contains many eggs. When the segment dries and breaks, it releases the eggs which are then swallowed by flea larvae. The worms then develop in the fleas and when a dogs eat a flea and digests it, the worm is the released into the dog. I spent a long time looking up worms in dogs when I saw a worm crawl out of my dogs...rear end :p.

Other worms like roundworms and whipworms can be contracted from consuming infected soil, feces, or dead animals so are you sure your cats have tapeworms? I suppose they could have a different type of tapeworm since tapeworm just refers to flatworms. I know humans can get a rather large type of tapeworm from eating raw pork.

Here's a site that talks about it. http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tapeworm.html It even comes with animated pictures :D.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for all the information and help guys. I'm still hoping he'll go again today if not I'll probably wait till monday. Unless he seems really uncomfortable over the weekend. He's acting pretty normal running around and everything. I'm not sure it's tapeworm but it sounds like it might be. I've checked him over and and don't see any fleas or flea dirt. Thanks again!

Willowy- I'm living in Okinawa, Japan right now so well south of the mainland.

Tapeworms are transmitted mainly by fleas: http://www.dr-dan.com/tapeworm.htm

Anyway, the vet records that would affect the quarantine issue would only be those regarding rabies vaccination. Make sure only the military vet gives your dog rabies vaccine.

But you can go to an off-base vet for dewormer. There might be a translation problem, though. I grew up on a military base in Japan (where are you? I grew up on Fleet Activities Sasebo and NAF Atsugi), and although our cats never needed to see an off-base vet, several friends of ours did take their pets off-base. A Japanese friend to translate is a good idea.

ETA: Saw you're in Okinawa....nice place. We went there for vacation. Which base?
I live just a bit north of Camp Courtney. We're in the country and have a number of small cattle farms around. I didn't imagine living in the country when moving to Japan. It's a nice vacation spot lots of beaches, but I'm still getting used to the constant high humidity.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just FYI... I brought in a sample on monday and I saw small worms again in the stool, the same as I saw before. So the technician comes out saying that they didn't see anything in the sample but what I described sounds like tapeworm. I ask her if she looked at the sample since I clearly saw two worms without looking too closely. She said she didn't but just saying what the vet said. So they sent me home with meds (Drontal) to give for tapeworm. I'm looking forward to moving back to the states so I can have a bigger selection of veterinarians. I want to actually be able to see the vet not just relay messages through the techs. Oh well hopefully these meds will work.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about a delay of a few days in the treatment - as long as treatment occurs in a somewhat timely manner. From what I've read, I don't think this could be affecting your dog's growth or causing a whole lot of discomfort, either. My only concern is that you've eliminated every last flea on your dog and in the house. Because those little grains of rice can hang around for a long time and if the fleas eat them and your dog ingests that flea, your dog gets infected again. Of course, the longer you wait, the more grains of rice there are.

My dog had ringworm, roundworms, tapeworms, and fleas when I got her from the shelter. For a while there, I thought I'd inadvertently signed up for a crash course in parasitology! The vet had to diagnose the roundworms, but I diagnosed and treated everything else myself with meds from online. I ended up waiting a week or so for the tapeworm meds, but other than the "ew factor", no harm done.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Good to hear you finally got your dewormer.

As for not showing up on the stool sample, if the stool sample you brought in didn't actually have worms on it, it could not show up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Speaking as a vet tech you pretty much never see tapeworm eggs in a stool sample.

By this I mean, when we are doing a fecal, we put the sample in a tube with a fecal solution that causes eggs in the sample to rise to the top where we have placed a microscope slide. Generally it's spun in a centrifuge to cause the eggs to separate more fully.

You can't see these eggs with a naked eye, you need to take the slide and examine it under a microscope.

Like was said the segment you see from a tapeworm isn't actually the eggs, it's what the eggs are inside. You would never actually be able to see an individual egg if one breaks apart and they usually do not break apart in the stool. For that reason tapeworm is almost always diagnosed with an owners description.

It's still a good idea to have a fecal done when tapeworms are suspected because there might be other parasites lurking in there that you aren't seeing. Most worms you will never see outside of the animal, tapeworm segments and roundworms on a dog with a high parasite load are the only exceptions. Hookworm, whipworm, lungworm, etc... need to be seen under a microscope, and hopefully roundworm is caught that way before it is seen as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Speaking as a vet tech you pretty much never see tapeworm eggs in a stool sample.

By this I mean, when we are doing a fecal, we put the sample in a tube with a fecal solution that causes eggs in the sample to rise to the top where we have placed a microscope slide. Generally it's spun in a centrifuge to cause the eggs to separate more fully.

You can't see these eggs with a naked eye, you need to take the slide and examine it under a microscope.

Like was said the segment you see from a tapeworm isn't actually the eggs, it's what the eggs are inside. You would never actually be able to see an individual egg if one breaks apart and they usually do not break apart in the stool. For that reason tapeworm is almost always diagnosed with an owners description.

It's still a good idea to have a fecal done when tapeworms are suspected because there might be other parasites lurking in there that you aren't seeing. Most worms you will never see outside of the animal, tapeworm segments and roundworms on a dog with a high parasite load are the only exceptions. Hookworm, whipworm, lungworm, etc... need to be seen under a microscope, and hopefully roundworm is caught that way before it is seen as well.
Thanks for the information. It's been almost a week since I gave him the first pill and today I didn't see any worm segments. I have one more pill to give in a couple weeks just to make sure he's cleared up. He also used to turn around and look at his back end after pooping like something was uncomfortable, but now I realize it was probably the worms. But he's stopped doing that as well so hopefully he's feeling better and things are getting taken care of.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I think tapeworms are the worst because you CAN see something. It's like EEWWW, I don't want him near me! :eek: Glad he's feeling better. He is such a cutie. What kind of dog is he?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think tapeworms are the worst because you CAN see something. It's like EEWWW, I don't want him near me! :eek: Glad he's feeling better. He is such a cutie. What kind of dog is he?
He's what they call an Oki-mix. Basically he was found with his littermates near a field with no mom in sight. He reminds me of a sheltie/jack russel/japanse breed mix. His tail curls up over his back like many japanese breeds. He likes to alert bark like my aunt's sheltie, but lucky for me he doesn't have the very high energy of those breeds. He's just what I wanted :) Sadly I won't be able to find another like him in the future. I'm sure you understand with your dogs also being mixes.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Oh, Semper I do know about mixes. I miss all of them (that have gone Over The Rainbow Bridge) for different reasons...even one who's been gone for over 20 yrs. I never try to replace one...it isn't possible. Sad but true. You just have to love each one for the dog they are...one of your best friends...if you have more than one that is..;) I have 3 right now and I wouldn't trade them for anything...well, most of the time that is :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts