Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old schnoodle who we think has IBS. About 3 weeks ago he started not wanting to eat, having loose mucous stools with some blood and diarrhea, and acting very droopy and lethargic. Anyway after 3 vet visits, ruling out all bacteria in stools and an ultrasound the vets think it is IBS. He has had 2 B12 shots and I am switching his diet to lower fat and higher fiber. He seems better and stools look a lot better- I am still transitioning to the new food- doing this very slowly. So my question is about the food- of course the vet wanted me to pick one of their foods Hills W/D gastro, Royal canin gastro or some purina choice. He did say I could research and pick my own so I chose Natural Balance diet food which is half the fat and double the fiber of his previous food which was TOTW.My 2 dogs for the most part have always been on grain free food and I couldn't see starting the Hills with corn, wheat and chicken by-products. I feel I made a good choice and was just wondering if anyone else has had a dog with ibs and what choices you have made for food. Thanks and I would appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Stella, my oldest Cavalier (11 years), had some symptoms that have been going off and on for quite a while now that made me think toward IBS, but she has not been officially diagnosed. Her symptoms were occasional loose stool with mucous, lethargy, occasional rumbly stomach in the morning (even with a snack at night before bed), and not wanting to eat her breakfast when she did have a rumbly stomach. By dinner time she ate just fine, and of course she ate treats just fine lol. I tried all different kinds of foods, and all very high quality. I fed Fromm, grain free and inclusive, Halo, Now!, Nature's Variety Prairie. Even premade raw and some dehydrated raw. The last food I fed was Mulligan Stew. It's really a fantastic food. It's baked instead of extruded and limited in its ingredients, but it does contain rice and oatmeal. That worked for about 1 week with no symptoms (I fed the food for a little over a month), then the symptoms started again. So....I finally decided to put her (and actually all 4 dogs) on Natural Balance LID Potato and Duck (the small bites). I'm also using the canned and the biscuit treats of the same flavor for now. It's been a little over 2 weeks and NO symptoms. Oh...I forgot to say I'm also adding a probiotic to their food and Stella is getting a vitamin for seniors from Vetri Science called Senior Plus, but I was doing that before, too. Stella is eating again and loving the food. She has no symptoms, so far! The other dogs are doing great, too. I like the fact the food has a lower protein, lower fat and limited ingredients and it's grain free. Lots of people will "knock" this food because of what I just stated about it, and they'll say potatoes are bad, too, but let me tell you I like having Stella back to her old self.....so say what you want, this food is working and I'm happy. So...after rambling on lol....I think you should give the NB a chance. The reduced calorie NB does have grain in it, but if it's working then hallelujah and good for you and your dog. Also, remember don't let anyone dissuade you from your choice if it's working.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
My dog has fiber responsive colitis, similar symptoms. If you search thru my posts you will find some info. Talk to your vet about adding probiotics, huge improvement for us. The highest fiber food non prescrption I've found is Pure Vita Bison. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
NB is a good choice for IBS dogs. Another option is California Natural (who also makes Innova and Evo). Both of these foods have limited ingredients, which are good for sensitive stomach dogs. My boxer puppy has a terrible stomach and can't tolerate the potatoes in many foods or chicken based foods, so I have to read labels like a hawk! He's currently on Holistic Select Lamb Meal and Rice, which he's doing okay on, but not great, so I'm trying to slowly switch him over to California Natural Puppy Lamb and Rice, b/c it's an even simpler food and rates higher, with more protein and calories. Brodie is very lean and growing like a weed, so keeping weight on him with loose stools is a challenge.

If you want to stay with a grain free food, you can try Instinct Grain Free LID. They have a couple of different varieties, and it's potato free, using tapioca instead. I'd use it but it's very pricey ($70+ for a 25 pound bag)!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts