Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rat terrier with an extra set of smaller ears behind her normal ears. They do not function but it is interesting. I have been trolling the net to try and see how rare this is. So far i have only been able to find this condition in a few cats. Is this particularly unusual? If anyone has any info, please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
11,442 Posts
Maybe they are gills.

"Trolling" is probably not a word you want to use too much here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. She was the last of her litter. Nobody would take her because of the ears. I guess they thought she might have birth defects or something. But i showed up to the breeder and they told me they had one pup left with four ears and I said "Oh yeah, Thats mine'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She's really cute :D Are they really a whole different set of ears, or are they just extra flaps of skin on the ears?
They are smaller vestigial ears. They do not have any ear canal. They just sit on the back of her regular ears. You could call them flaps. But they are shaped exactly like her normal ears.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Cute dog, too bad they don't have ear canals, then there would be no excuse on her not hearing you for her commands. :)
I suspect that 4 ears can have selective hearing as well as 2. LOL
Very cute pup either way. I have never seen a dog with 4 ears, thanks for sharing the pictures.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts