Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shih-tzu, Gizmo, has bad skin allergies (very common in my area and her breed). I am waiting on results of allergy testing. I feed Evo and ziwi peak. Im thinking of adding raw foods to her diet. I'm looking for some feedback on Stella & Chewy's raw food. I"ll take any other suggestions! I like to do a lot of research into my dog food and get opinions.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You say you're thinking of adding raw food to their diet. Well, adding raw food isn't going to do any good unless you get rid of the food (if it IS a food) that's causing the allergies. If they are allergic to something in the kibble, then a complete switch, to either another food or raw is necessary.

I have no experience with Stella & Chewy's raw food.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Raw doesn't have some mystical property of neutralizing allergens. The reason it doesn't trigger allergies is that your dog isn't allergic to it. The only way to stop the allergies from cropping up is to get rid of the material that is causing it.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
My dog suffers from allergies. He'll loose his hair in bald spots all over his body, mostly around his neck, face, and chest. It took me a couple months before I was able to narrow it down to "corn". I cut "corn", anything made with "corn", out of his diet and he's been fine for several months now. All his hair has grown back in and his coat looks beautiful...

I kept him on kibble, I can't afford a "raw" diet for him... I have given him some semi-boiled boneless chicken before, but it's not anything like a diet.

Good luck with the allergy tests!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She is a bit itchy all year round but she chews a lot during the spring/summer/fall. They area I live in a lot of animals/people have bad allergies. Still waiting on her allergy testing which I know will tell me she has problems with trees/grasses/fleas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts