Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 month pitbull who has learned to sit in his chair when told, to go to his crate, etc, but he keeps getting out of the back yard and wanting to get in the front door. I keep him out during the day to run around in almost an acre back there so he gets his exercise. I am not able to walk him.

I want to teach him not to leave the back yard. But I am not there when he leaves it, so I cannot tsch him, which would work. Fixing the fence has helped some, but he could learn to climb an 8' chain link fence. I have to teach him not to do it.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Are you at home when he is out in the yard? if your home and are able to react you an do a security camera or a dog tracker tag to alert you when he is working on leaving the back yard. If he is leaving the yard to come back to the house to be with you.. See if you can find something yall can do together to get his exercise in. Maybe a ball shooter that you don't have to be too moble if your physically have limitations.

You can always get a covered kennel that also has a solid flooring to start your training of staying outside and not being able to leave the yard. Get him on a schedule of staying in the back yard and learning he will be coming back in the house at certain times.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Unfortunately, this dog sounds like he needs to be under constant supervision in the back yard. You will not be able to leave your house and leave him in the backyard. When you can't supervise, your pup needs to be in the house, crated if need be, or in a completely secure outdoor kennel with shelter and water that he cannot dig out of or climb over. If the weather tends to be extremely hot or extremely cold, this probably won't be an option all the time.

Also, dogs don't generally get any exercise when left alone in a yard. They're not great at entertaining themselves out there. They get into trouble, as you've experienced! If you are unable to walk him due to physical restrictions, you might try playing games like fetch, or get a ball shooter like Patricia mentioned. You can teach him tricks, maybe do obstacles. You might also try hiring someone to take your dog for walks. Getting your pup mentally and physically tired will reduce his desire to escape. Pitties are very, very active dogs, and they need to be exercised so they don't get into trouble!

Likely, you being out there with him will eliminate his desire to escape, but if he still tries to get out you might invest in coyote rollers so he can't gain purchase on the top of the fence and pull himself over. Make sure he can't dig out, and if he tries you will need to bury chicken wire along the base of the fence. Remove things he can use as a "ladder" or "step stool" near the fence, like trees or piles of rocks or things like that.The least expensive option would be to keep him on a leash at all times when outside, but it sounds like he won't try to escape if you're out there with him, so hopefully you don't have to.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Don't leave him outside in just a fence unsupervised. If you want him to get exercise you need to exercise him. Sounds like he'd bring left to his own devices. Build an escape proof kennel or make a good chain set up.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
He wants to be in the house with you so why not let him? He's obviously bored in the yard by himself and is not getting the exercise you hoped for. You could have designated outside play time with a ball shooter, or just simply playing fetch with a chuck it. Then let him inside to hang out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts