Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loki refuses to eat. He'll nibble a bit out of his bowl, but then not touch it again. We can leave it down for hours, he won't touch it. We change his food to something different, a different flavor, or a different formula, nothing. We work at a dog groomer/boutique. We have access to some of the most expensive food on the market. We have tried Ziwi Peak, Fromm, Wild Calling... you name it, he won't eat it. Today he had a hunger puke. We don't know what to do. He gets a mix of wet food and dry, and sometimes we add a little people food just to get him to touch it, and sometimes that doesn't even work. He gets two attempts at meals a day. We are at our wits end!! I have no idea what to do now. Help!

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
is he drinking, is he pooping, is he peeing, or being lethargic, vomiting .... for me since I don't have any picky eaters it's the first refusal of food major big flag somethings not medically right .. I consider possible obstruction from eating something they shouldn't have, even something I can't see like a telescoped intestine. to get them to the vet...

changing my chubby (miss you ) Smokey from can to dry kibble was 4 days of not eating except a few pieces,, then he caved and ate what I was giving. He wasn't vomiting... So Hope your little one is just being finicky and is alright

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Since he's hunger puking I'd take him to the vet. Dogs might be picky eaters, but should end up eating something before they throw up from hunger. Considering you've tried multiple different types of food, I'd say there's a decent chance that something is medically stopping him from eating. Better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
If he isn't eating/is refusing everything, is throwing up, and is a puppy: VET, VET, VET.

Hunger pukes aren't unknown, and I DO have a really finicky dog who eats basically nothing but this is a puppy and food refusal + vomit is a really, really screaming sign of something being physically wrong.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is not my pup, its the older one (1 year) Loki. He is drinking and peeing (I don't usually go outside with him to watch him poop so I will have to pay closer attention) and isn't lethargic. He and Gunnar are going to the vet tomorrow for vaccinations so I will bring it up then. He will eat food we give him like treats or the occasional piece of our dinner, so he is at least ingesting some food, but not enough to keep him from being hungry.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I suspect a toothache honestly, or something with the mouth.

IME if a dog is drinking and acting fine while only taking small amounts of food in, there's a tooth or jaw problem.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
This is strictly IMO, but I wouldn't allow ANYONE to vaccinate my dog until I was 110% sure my dog was healthy and this wasn't a medical problem.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
This is strictly IMO, but I wouldn't allow ANYONE to vaccinate my dog until I was 110% sure my dog was healthy and this wasn't a medical problem.
I agree,, if there is a medical situation , especially as Flaming suggested of a possible tooth infection... would be harsh on the body to try to heal what is wrong and then try to fight off a vaccine to get proper immune response and not succumb to the vaccine

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Check out his mouth for sure. When Peanut was a puppy she went off her food for a few days. Found a stick stuck in her mouth. Removed it and she ate like a beast. Nubs has gotten picky on his food at his older age. He has bad teeth so took him into the vet thinking it was that. He's only eat in the mornings if I mixed we food into his food. Come to figure out that he is just bored of his food so I added in another flavor and not an issue at all.

So in other words if you've tried everything it's time to rule out medical issues.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a complete mystery. He's not losing any weight, he's got plenty of energy to run around with me outside and play with Gunnar constantly. He's alert, focused, and not at all lethargic or grumpy. Drinking water a lot, peeing and pooping normally. I'm beginning to think he's filling up on chew toys, like rawhides and hoofs. We don't really give him bully sticks or anything like that and he doesn't get an excessive amount of treats during the day. He doesn't even eat much around other dogs anymore which he used to do. He's just not interested in food and it drives me crazy! I haven't taken him to the vet yet, I'm gonna try after work on Saturday, my schedule has just been out of control right now and my roommate works into the late evening after the office closes. I would think it was a mouth issue, except he is always chewing on his toys with no problem. I can't really know anything until I get him to the vet though :/

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It's a complete mystery. He's not losing any weight, he's got plenty of energy to run around with me outside and play with Gunnar constantly. He's alert, focused, and not at all lethargic or grumpy. Drinking water a lot, peeing and pooping normally. I'm beginning to think he's filling up on chew toys, like rawhides and hoofs. We don't really give him bully sticks or anything like that and he doesn't get an excessive amount of treats during the day. He doesn't even eat much around other dogs anymore which he used to do. He's just not interested in food and it drives me crazy! I haven't taken him to the vet yet, I'm gonna try after work on Saturday, my schedule has just been out of control right now and my roommate works into the late evening after the office closes. I would think it was a mouth issue, except he is always chewing on his toys with no problem. I can't really know anything until I get him to the vet though :/
Oh, dear. Rawhides are really bad news. Dogs can't digest them, so if the dog swallows a big enough piece, it can get caught in the stomach or intestines and cause all sorts of problems. If it's caught in his stomach, he'd be capable of drinking, but not of eating much, but he'd still be hungry and pukey. Definitely get him to the vet.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Once he's gone to the vet and everything has been ruled out, stop all treats and anything BTW meals, set it down for 15 or 20 mi u tea at the most and leave, if he doesn't eat or finish it, pick it up and set down the remainder at the next scheduled feeding. If he is healthy he won't starve himself.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay he went to the vet today and the verdict is that he is at a good weight and has good muscle tone, everything is physically good with him. Our vet said don't do anything differently, he will eat when he wants and as long as he maintains a good weight and is having bowel movements and such that we shouldn't worry. I'm still gonna cut back on the treats though, it's not totally necessary in training with him anyway because he is much more play driven than food driven. Noted about the rawhide though. We already take them away when they get too small but I'll be giving them out much less frequently now, just in case.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Okay he went to the vet today and the verdict is that he is at a good weight and has good muscle tone, everything is physically good with him. Our vet said don't do anything differently, he will eat when he wants and as long as he maintains a good weight and is having bowel movements and such that we shouldn't worry. I'm still gonna cut back on the treats though, it's not totally necessary in training with him anyway because he is much more play driven than food driven. Noted about the rawhide though. We already take them away when they get too small but I'll be giving them out much less frequently now, just in case.
I wouldn't give them at all ... just in case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts