Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a four year old handicapped chihuahua. He is chronically constipated, I add pumpkin, oil and water to his dry food to keep things moving. He used to drink water several times a day as well. He had a bout of diarrhea and was very thirsty and drinking a lot of water when he started vomiting. That is the last time he drank water from a bowl without it being added to his food. I think he associates drinking water with vomiting. I have tried a different bowl in a new location, chicken broth, and bottled water. We went to the vet and he was just as puzzled as I am and felt that he would start drinking again. It has been 3 months and he still will not touch water unless it is with his food and he has to drink it to get the kibble. He does show slight signs of dehydration in the late afternoon before his evening meal. I am thinking of feeding him 3 or four times a day to get more liquid in him. I would rather just get him to drink! Any brilliant ideas?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I would absolutely feed 3 times a day if that is his only water source.. Otherwise, talk to your vet able about getting you started on intravenous fluids? It's a pretty simple and easy process. You might also want to ask about adding pro-biotics to his meals to help with the digestive issues as well.

What type of handicap does he have. Is he able to get regular exercise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of handicap does he have. Is he able to get regular exercise?[/QUOTE]
He was born with twisted back legs, no hip sockets and the last vertebrae is not connected to the spinal cord (tail just hangs, and he has no feeling in his anus) He does get around in his own twisted way but can't go too far, he has a wheelchair but he hates it. I do give him pro-biotics. I have given sub-q fluids to dogs before. He would not be too happy about that. I will start feeding him 3 times a day, I kept thinking he would get over his aversion to water but it looks like that is not going to happen. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Wow, that's quiet a handicap. It's a blessing that he has you in his life. The only other thing I can think of is to use an eye dropper. He probably won''t enjoy that either, but I guess it's like medication, sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Good luck. If you find something that works, please post an update.

·
Banned
964 Posts
I have a four year old handicapped chihuahua. He is chronically constipated, I add pumpkin, oil and water to his dry food to keep things moving. Any brilliant ideas?
How many Pumpkins are you putting in his bowl? And what kinda oil are you putting in his water?

Most dogs just like eating regular dog food without pumpkins ..and no oil in their water..
Maybe just a piece of watermellon after dinner..

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Have you tried adding sodium free chicken broth to some water? Someone mentioned this to me a while back. I could not find the sodium free but did find some low sodium broth. I would however ask your vet about the low sodium broth as salt is not good.

Also when one of my dogs were ill I always used the medicine dropper with the squeeze bulb ( like a turkey baster) and I just made sure that I put water into the side of their mouth a little at a time through out the day.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We have three water sources on the main floor of the house for the pets - two bowls, and one recirculating fountain. Hamilton will drink out of his bowl if he HAAAAAS to, but generally he waits until he's let out of his gated area and make a bee line for the fountain and slurps that water down! I wonder if your dog wouldn't enjoy some moving water? We have this one http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-6022-Drinking-Fountain/dp/B00329RZFE/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1333110841&sr=8-11 which is small, easy to assemble, and can go in the dishwasher. I've had the plastic ones in the past (before they made ceramic and stainless) but they were a real pain to clean and maintain. If it's something you'd consider, definitely go for ceramic or stainless - easier to clean and no plastic leeching chemicals!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He started out as a foster, the shelter was going to euthanize him as un-adoptable at eight weeks old. He was so fragile and had so many problems I didn't trust anyone to care for him. So he is my special boy. @Rolini he has to have the pumpkin and oil or he cannot poop. @Abbylynn I have tried chicken broth he wouldn't drink that either. @hambonez I have not tried a fountain thanks for the idea I will try that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts