Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all, I'm new to the forum and found this site on google when poking around for answers for my problem. We are in the process of adopting an 18 mo terrier/schnauzer mix, Rusty, from a friend who is moving to Korea. Before the big adoption date, we decided to have a trial week to see how he'd interact with our other dog, Emma, who is 6 year old chihuahua mix. Today is our first day with Rusty who cannot hold his pee or poop for even a few seconds while I put his leash on after letting him out of his kennel. I've read posts that say to scold him mid-pee and rush him outside, however, we live in a 9-story building that doesn't have grass outside our 7th floor door. It could be that the new environment is causing him anxiety, however, I noticed this behavior at my friends house when he got outside his kennel, he had to pee on a pad. Now, granted the massive pee and poop show was right after he spent the night in the kennel, but I took him for a long walk and he didn't go outside once. And as soon as we got back in the condo, he peed the carpet again! I really want to get him to break away from going inside the house but his previous owners were ok with it. Another issue is that my dog Emma is getting really anxious and aggressive with Rusty; something I've never really seen before even when I've dog-sat and had other dogs in the house. I really like the idea of having two dogs, but is there such thing as having a bad match? I hate to back pedal on my adoption plans but is it wrong to think that this new dog is going to cause heartache for my dog? Thanks for letting me vent here :)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Venting is good! I suppose there could be a bad match, but there is a lot to be said about the way you introduce the dogs to each other. I would recommend getting a toy or blanket that smells like your new dog and leaving around where your dog can smell it, and vice versa for your new dog. That way they will at least get used to their scents.
As far as the peeing inside, that's a tough one. If it's been allowed by the previous owners you really have to retrain him to do what YOU want. So, that would mean going back to potty training basics. Take him outside OFTEN, just as you would a new puppy! You may even need to get up during the night (since you said that one of the times the accidents have occurred was first thing in the morning when he couldn't wait to go downstairs).
Going back to basics will do two things: let him know WHERE you want to go, and, by taking him out as often as you would a new puppy he won't ever get to the point where he just can't hold it anymore and goes on the floor. Of course, while you're retraining, expect accidents. He's having to RELEARN something! :) And, throw a big party when he does it outside! Lots of praise and a treat!
And, clean up his messes with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle, so that there are NO traces of the accidents, even to dogs' sensitive noses!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice! It's been so long that I've had to house train a dog, this is a really good wake up call that he needs to be trained like a puppy. I assumed too much thinking he was not within puppy-age and treated him as such. I agree Nature's miracle is truly that, I've had to use it liberally since we took in Rusty. It'll be slow going, I just need to post here to vent :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts