Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what people thought of a dog whistle. I know that in case my dog can't hear me a dog whistle might help. (or if I'm panicked the dog will simply think it's a game and run) I can't whistle loudly.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I trained my dog to respond to different whistle commands. I can't say for a fact, but I think they instinctively respond better to a whistle. More urgency in a whistle...or something.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I was just wondering what people thought of a dog whistle. I know that in case my dog can't hear me a dog whistle might help. (or if I'm panicked the dog will simply think it's a game and run) I can't whistle loudly.
What kind of whistle, a referees whistle is good and you can start in house with very light whistles from a different room and any time he comes to see what it is he gets his favorite treat some thing he can't refuse. Do not blast the whistle at him as that could scare dog. Take it slow don't overdo, and as far as I'm concerned anytime you blow whistle you have a treat for him and you have made yourself a good recall dog.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I met a well known trainer many years ago that used a Shepherds whistle for her emergency recall. I have no idea if one type of whistle is 'better' than another but, I like the idea.

·
Super Moderator
11,444 Posts
My black lab was whistle-trained before I adopted him.

He could be 100 yards away but, when I blew on that whistle, he came running. (That's how I found out he was already whistle-trained.)

When he got older, and his eyesight started to fail, I could blow that whistle. He would look around, and I'd waive my arms so he could see me, and he'd come running.

It's a useful tool, and I was astounded that I could be around 100 dogs at the dogpark and mine seemed to be the only one that was whistle-trained.

I guess it was just as well, though.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
With the treat as reward this works or also thrown in is possibly a ball crazy dog can be whistled in and as reward ball playing. Whatever your pup/dog is crazy about will work again do not overdo. The temptation to just blow whistle just to see if it works does not help program. You get the exercise ingrained as later on in life a sharp blast of whistle in theory could stop your loose dog from crossing a busy highway and back to you immediately. The nice thing about the whistle is it will cut through other noises. As I have mentioned before with our personal dog who will be 10 in march and I need an immediate recall if she happens to be outside when customers pull in I still have a treat reward when she comes. I use voice but the whistle is the same program.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts