Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Finally had time to watch some of the Vada video and after 11 minutes I've seen all I needed to see. Kicking an animal may be all you can do in some situations, e.g. if you or your dog is being attacked, but kicking an animal in a training situation when the animal was already given a hard correction with a leash? Um. No. I haven't seen all episodes of DW but I've never seen him do that before so I was very surprised. Wonder if they forgot to edit it out, if it's part of his repetoire, or if he just thought he had special license to do that since he was dealing with a hybrid? No matter- don't want a debate on this, please. And to be fair, I didn't watch the whole thing, so I may be taking this move out of context. It was enough for me, though.

Still, wolves and hybrids are a very interesting topic and I thank you all again for your thoughts. I think if I were a qualified trainer, working with hybrid rescues would be very challenging and therefore satisfying work. Hats off to you, Nekomi, and others who take this work on. These are beautiful and misunderstood animals who need knowledgeable people like you around.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
The language barrier gets in the way sometimes. When he says "You have to choose the dogs at the dog park", it means you have to go there when there are balanced dogs there.
I still don't see how that's possible. Maybe some dog parks are more....organized? But at the dog parks I've been at, there's no way to find a time when 20 of the best, most well-balanced dogs are there.

Cesar was very gentle with the wolfdogs and even told the woman that she was being too harsh.
I did catch the bit where he told the ownershe was being too harsh, but then he kicked Vada after yanking her leash really hard :confused: . Not real gentle.

I thought it was a great episode and look forward to the new one. The food aggression/resource guarding and other issues disappeared and in the follow up session, the fear aggression with other dogs was also dealt with.
I did see that the resource guarding was much improved. That's actually not too hard to fix. I don't think the dog aggression was fixed. She would still munch any small dog that ran by and triggered her prey drive, even I can see that.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts