Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!!

I have a 1-year-old doggo who whines whenever she sees me going outside the house leaving her but when I leave her inside our bedroom, it doesn't seem like an issue. I left her there for a couple of times to check if she was going to cry but she didn't. I just see her sleeping on the bed.

I wonder why she's calm in the bedroom even if I leave her for an hour or so but when she sees me leaving the house, she whines and cries.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Our oldest dog was like this for a long time before he was comfortable being left out in the whole apartment.

Does she sleep on the bed or in the bedroom with you at night? My personal theory is that, if the dog's used to sleeping there with you, the bedroom becomes a place strongly associated with being calm and settled, and it probably also smells more like you than many other places in the house. But whatever the reason, if it works to leave your dog there when you're gone, I say keep doing it!

·
Banned
242 Posts
If it works, keep doing it.

When training my puppy,I left the room for 5 mins, 10 mins, 15 mins, on and on until finally we worked ourselves up to a hour, which is pretty much the longest I'm ever away for (I'm homeschooled & home almost all the time,, even before covid). I gave treats for silence, started over for noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts