Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

Only a few weeks ago, I decided to start a dog walking business with the help of a few of my friends that are also good at taking care of dogs. However, before starting this business, I am willing to get all necessary tips, suggestion and guidance from pet communities. In the same token, we are also comparing the quotes and reading the reviews of dog walker insurance companies to avoid any damage after getting enter in the business. However, I am also willing to explore further dog walking suggestions in this regard.

When I talked with various dog walkers, they suggest the following tips:
Bring plenty of water for your dog
Don't walk with him in hot weather especially at heated pavements
Make sure your dog wears a proper identification to avoid any problem
Don't give any medicine to your dog before the advice of his/her vet
Don't start this business before taking the dog walking insurance

So, what other pieces of advice you people can share with us. We really need quality and honest opinions in this regard. I am waiting for your suggestions.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
There's much more to it than merely providing water on hot days, ensuring ID tags are worn, and not administering meds etc.

I'd speak with a lawyer first of all. It's important to establish exactly where you'll stand, legally, should anything unfortunate occur while a dog is under your care. With today's trend towards hellish lawsuits, and liability issues being what they currently are, I wouldn't rely solely on an insurance policy to potentially save my bacon. And this is only considering the legal aspect ...

Secondly, in my opinion, you're going to need a very firm understanding of dog training and behaviour principles. And also possess a certain skill set in that regard, which can be applied during the course of actually walking dogs. A history of handling many dogs with vastly different temperaments will be an asset. In other words, an abundance of prior dog experience.

Those are just two points that immediately come to mind. I'm sure that many other important elements will need to be considered as well.

Brutally honestly though? Personally I would rather start a different type of dog-related business. Grooming, for example. Even though there are similar legal / liability concerns, at least it doesn't involve taking other people's 'unknown / strange' dogs outdoors and into public areas.

·
Banned
625 Posts
Poop bags.....plenty. don't be squimish on the policing of the sidewalk treasures.

One dog at a time, unless they share the same owner.

Each animal on collar/harness and leash. No one runs loose.

A pocket full of treats may be helpful.

About walking in hot weather.......be mindful of the temperature/humidity combination. Put your hand on the pavement, count to 5. If you can't reach 5 without removing your hand, then the pavement is too hot. Dogs can burn their pads in a very short time. You need to be aware of the temperatures within 2 feet of the pavement, this is where the temperature can soar several degrees. This is also the zone where many dogs walk. Learn the signs of heatstroke, be prepared to administer emergency cool down to ease to condition. Pavement temperature can be over 100F when the air temp is in the 70s, just using air temperature can mislead you.

Have the dog owner's vet contact number. Have the owner's contact number.

Learn dog first aid. A dog could easily cut a paw on a piece of glass or get a splinter or......

Lawyer up.....learn the law and your liability. It will help in many areas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts