Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, how many of you use a daily walker for your dogs? Today is my 2nd day using the service, and my walker today only gave my puppy Woody a 20 minute walk or so instead of the full 30 minute I paid for. From the moment she entered my apartment to the moment she left, the time stamp on my webcam shows that she spent 22 minutes door to door. I don't know how I feel about it... I mean it's only 8 minutes shy but at $16 per 30 minutes, it bothers me.

I emailed the owner of the company about it, but I just wanted to see if I'm being the annoying customer since it would be hard for them to make it exactly 30 minutes everyday.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'd wait and see how other days go but if it continues you should broach the subject with the walker and/or agency owner. If you don't assert yourself people will take advantage and it is possible to do that nicely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, but I just interviewed the owner on Sunday and he told me I would definitely be getting what I'm paying for and that means full 30 minute walks. Yesterday I got the full time of course since I was home... today is my first day back at work so not off to a good start... which sucks because I REALLY like the owner and he's from near my hometown. I'm being nice and just saying it's not a huge deal right now but I do want to let him know. I mean, 8 minutes is $4...

·
Banned
78 Posts
I think you have paid for 30 mins, can prove it was 20 mins, and therefore a rip off of $4, or 10 mins.
They have failed to provide the customer with the goods agreed upon, ie breach of contract.
Its not the owner, its the slack arse who's walking you dog. Owner cant change things unless you inform owner of his staff cutting corners.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Waiters, cooks, hair stylists... Those are all people I woulnd't want to make upset with me, because they have access to things I want done right. I'd add dog walker to that list if I were you, if he/she is taking your dog away from you it might serve you better to be cautious, try to go about it a different way. If you're on this board, you love your dog, my advice is to just be careful in upsetting anyone. Handle the situation with care and I'm sure it'll be resolved quickly.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Each to their own brody, but its this lack of assertion skills, that creat poor service in the first place. You dont have to be rude, or aggressive in talking to the owner.
A simple assertive "I" statement should work.
eg. "when your walker reduces the 30 minute walk to 20 minutes, my dog is less tired than if the entire 30 mins was used, i would prefer if she/he could walk the dog for the full 30 mins".

If you seriously fear people would mistreat your dog/hair/house just because you were assertive, what the hell are they doing in your home/hair./or with your dog etc?

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
I would wait and see what happens for a few days. It is very possible that the dog walker simply got stuck in traffic and tried to make up time so the whole day wasn't behind (not great for your dog, but excusable on RARE occasions) or started on time and thought your dog was getting tired or overheated and finished early. Etc.

If less than say, 1 day out of the month (assuming your hiring a dog walker for the work week) is less than 30 minutes, I'd probably let it slide. That is, if they gave a reason- for example, leaving a note that said "since it was over 85 degrees and (dog) was panting hard, we came home early"

If within the first week or two, there is another day where it is short AND the dog walker business doesn't immediately call you and explain the situation (i.e. "there was car trouble and the walker was late so we'll give you today for free") then I'd politely cancel and find another service.

·
Banned
91 Posts
If you seriously fear people would mistreat your dog/hair/house just because you were assertive, what the hell are they doing in your home/hair./or with your dog etc?
I'm not living in fear of everyone around me. It was just a small "tread lightly" warning. I never told the op not to do something, I just thought I'd add my opinion.

But, I don't wanna loose focus of the main topic here and get into a misunderstanding between you and I. So, lets just say its small advice the op is welcome to ignore is they want.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hmmm, I'm in the gang of wait it out and see. A day from time to time that's a little short should be somewhat expected. 8 minutes short? Well, that's truly pushing the limits of what I'd call acceptable. But would I be expecting every single walk to be 30 minutes to the tee? No. Because just as you'd find it unacceptable for a 25 minute walk, the owner may not enjoy the thought of frequent 35 minute walks (depending on the size of the business and the individual walker's schedule, it may end up as a loss of potential money). But a 28 minute walk today, 30 tomorrow, 35 minutes another day, 29 the next, etc etc, well ok.

With that said, I think day 2 is rather soon to be shorted 8 minutes on only a 30 minute walk. Perhaps there was a valid excuse, or perhaps the walker merely looked at their clock/watch wrong at some point, or possibly so that they were trying to cut corners. I'd have given it another few days to see if it was made up for or if it happens again frequently, but I don't disagree with you speaking to the owner either!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd also wait and see... If this is a regularly occurring thing I would press further complaints but also prepare to find a new service (or new walker from same service?)

8 minutes short on the 2nd day is, although, unacceptable.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I would say something right away (nicely, of course). I'm a small business owner, and if one of my employees was pulling that cr*p on the second delivery of service & without an explanation, I'd be really sad. If this happened and my employee told me, I'd call or email rihght away. But to not tell me? Ish. That's .not cool

I noticed the OP said 22 minutes door-to-door. Hmmm. That's pretty short- come in, get the leash, buckle up, get outside, lock-up, walk, repeat in reverse....a very tight 22 minutes, indeed.

I'm guessing they did not know you have a webcam, and took advantage.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Personally, I would give it a week or so. It may be that one day they're 8 minutes short, another day they spend 10 minutes extra. If it all comes out in the wash that way it wouldn't bother me. If it was a consistent thing I'd say something, though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your input... no response yet from the owner. I just sent out the check today too for the month of May in advance. I like the owner and want it to work out so let's see. After the whole sales pitch though, 8 minutes short (26%) on a walk seems a bit much on the 2nd day. I don't want the walker fired, but if the whole sales pitch is that they look for the right honest people to be walkers who will deliver what you pay for, well... I expect it.

titiaamor: I have two webcams, one pointed at the entry door and one at the crate, no way she could've missed it... really weird.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input... no response yet from the owner. I just sent out the check today too for the month of May in advance. I like the owner and want it to work out so let's see. After the whole sales pitch though, 8 minutes short (26%) on a walk seems a bit much on the 2nd day. I don't want the walker fired, but if the whole sales pitch is that they look for the right honest people to be walkers who will deliver what you pay for, well... I expect it.

titiaamor: I have two webcams, one pointed at the entry door and one at the crate, no way she could've missed it... really weird.
I don't blame you for wanting what you paid for and what's best for your puppy. It's your right after all and I don't think you're a complainer. More people should speak up and we would get better service from merchants.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Owner wrote me back and said he'll find out what happened... they def should not have short walked my pup and will make it up to me. Problem solved. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Owner wrote me back and said he'll find out what happened... they def should not have short walked my pup and will make it up to me. Problem solved. :)
Great to hear :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
If it were me, I would maybe see what happens the next day or 2. If it happens again then I would explain to the owner what's going on. I do think that it's best not to wait weeks because if you do the owner can say,why didn't you mention it before you were 1/2 way or whatever into your paid month. You don't have to go on a rampage about it but you paid for a service and you are entitled to that,your not expecting something for free or anything out of the way. If I feared someone that I paid for a service would get mad because I wasn't happy then I would change to a different person,as long as your not being an A-hole about it then I wouldn't worry about someone getting back at me.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Good for you. It's best to handle these things right away.

(and you would be surprised how many people could miss a webcam- even 2!)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Mom- OP already talked to the owner, and is correcting the situation.

If it were me, I would maybe see what happens the next day or 2. If it happens again then I would explain to the owner what's going on. I do think that it's best not to wait weeks because if you do the owner can say,why didn't you mention it before you were 1/2 way or whatever into your paid month. You don't have to go on a rampage about it but you paid for a service and you are entitled to that,your not expecting something for free or anything out of the way. If I feared someone that I paid for a service would get mad because I wasn't happy then I would change to a different person,as long as your not being an A-hole about it then I wouldn't worry about someone getting back at me.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I take note of dog walkers I see on MY walks to see who I would hire in a pinch-- for example the ones that load up their packs and take them to the dog beach and (there are about 10 services that I know of do that)-- these guys are really professional -- theres no fencing --- so they have good control of their packs, and you can be sure the dogs get a good run/outing...
I would reccommend that you if possible-- try to do the same-- take note of dog walkers you see when YOU walk, and try to hook up with the ones you like (I am lucky enough that we have weekend Dog walkers too....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts