Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dog (old english sheepdog) is about 7-8 years old male. He has recently been doing this thing where it sounds like he is trying to hack a loogie. He was put on a sulfa drug 5 days on 5 days off, twice a day. He seemed to be getting better, so we stopped with that cycle about a week and a half ago. Now today, he threw up his breakfast, and now has thrown up bile a few times. Do you think you could explain what this is? How to treat it?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Usually they throw up bile due to an empty stomach. If he threw up his food, that emptied his stomach, so acid would build up, and he could throw up bile. Try feeding smaller meals more often.

What are you feeding? Some dogs develop allergies to grain. If you aren't feeding a grain free food, you might try it. Switch gradually over a 2 week period to avoid diarrhea. I use Taste of The Wild, High Prairie formula, and my dogs really like it and do well on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We thought that too, but we have been offering him food and he ate a little bit last night, but threw up bile during the night. He drank some water last night. This is the third time he has thrown up bile in 2 days

1 - 4 of 4 Posts