Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Me and my ex broke up a while ago and now she is refusing to let me see our dog which I walked almost every day for 7 years and loved very much. I paid his vet fees, got him chipped in my name and in many ways he is more mine than hers.

Where do I stand legally in taking her to court for visitation rights? I have tried getting her to do mediation but she is flat out ignoring me and I am now getting depressed over not seeing my dog who is like a son to me.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Who legally owns the dog? If he was adopted, who paid the fee and signed the papers? If he was purchased from a breeder, whose name is on the AKC papers or the receipt?

I don't think you can take your ex to court over dog visitation rights. I DO think you can take your ex to court over ownership of the dog, as long as you have proof that you are the actual owner and you want to have full time care of him.

Sadly, if you don't want to own him full time or if your ex was the one who purchased him, I don't think there's much you can do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who legally owns the dog? If he was adopted, who paid the fee and signed the papers? If he was purchased from a breeder, whose name is on the AKC papers or the receipt?

I don't think you can take your ex to court over dog visitation rights. I DO think you can take your ex to court over ownership of the dog, as long as you have proof that you are the actual owner and you want to have full time care of him.

Sadly, if you don't want to own him full time or if your ex was the one who purchased him, I don't think there's much you can do.
No papers were given as we were given him for free as a pup, my name is on the chip and the vet...I am willing to be his owner but I didn't necessarily need to be, I just wanna see him and I have a heart so wouldn't have taken him away from her despite how I've been treated.

I'm in the UK by the way, do you or anyone know how you go about taking it to court? I have Googled for weeks on end and cannot find what I need to know.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yeah I was under the impression no one will humour you for visitation rights.
I'd say your best bet is to try and make things amicable with your ex and discuss visitation, or taking him when she goes on vacations, or offer babysitting when she wants to go away for a weekend.

Unless you want to take her to court to take away the dog completely, which you might have a case for, I don't know if there's much you can do.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Nobody is going to give you visitation over a dog. A dog is property, by all legal standing.

And it can be stressful for the dog.

But if you want YOUR dog back, file a suit and take your dog back. If you were the primary caregiver, your name is on the chip, and you've paid the vet bills, he's yours, outright.

That, or accept that she's gone and move on. But depending on how much trouble you care to cause, I would probably get my dog back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can sue for visitation, but it will be really expensive and requires courts higher than small claims. What you could do is sue for ownership, or to recoup your expenses from your ex. The mere specter of small claims court my encourage your exGF to view things in a more reasonable and conciliatory fashion. When you come to an agreement, get it on paper and signed.

·
Registered
693 Posts
dogs are property not children for visits and child support.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think you could try to get custody / ownership of the dog if you have proof that you paid the bills and if you are the registered owner on the microchip, however it could well be a long and costly process. If you did get ownership of the dog then you could allow your ex visitation if you wanted to. Instead of googling I'd have a short chat with a solicitor to understand what is involved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts