Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here give their dog vaccinations at home instead of taking them to the Vet to get them? If so can you please give me some tips that you use.
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Some people do, yes. You can buy vaccinations from places like Tractor Supply or your vet. Just make sure you know the proper dosage for your dog's weight, and how to give the vaccination. You might ask your vet to show you how to do it the first time. There are some vaccinations that the vet legally has to administer, like the Rabies vaccination (if you're in the US, that is).

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
in the US and state laws, Only legal if a Vet gives the Rabies vaccination for my state. Which means if your dog bites someone or another dog, it could mean the difference of being quarantined or killed. The other area is training centers some will take the information and the sticker off other required vaccines that you may give yourself, or they may require all of them be administered and documented by a vet for them to be accepted to training at their facility

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Many boarding/training/grooming facilities require your dog have proof of vaccination in the form of a vaccination certificate, which can only be issued by a vet.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I grew up on a farm and the animals mostly got their jabs at home, yeah. Step one is finding out from the vet which vaccines the animal needs (depends on region and lifestyle) and on what timetable. Step two is getting them from a reliable supplier. Step three is storing and handling them properly (and verifying they've been stored properly all along). Step four is administering them properly.

If you've never given jabs before I don't recommend experimenting with something as important as vaccines. If you're trained, though, it can be a reasonable way to save money, particularly if you have lots of animals to do.

Rabies has to be administered by a vet to count for legal purposes in the US, though.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Just make sure you know the proper dosage for your dog's weight, and how to give the vaccination.
I don't believe vaccines are dosed by weight for dogs? I know that in humans there's generally a ped dose and an adult dose and that's it. I've heard of individual vets reducing the amount for very tiny dogs but I'm not aware of that being a standard protocol.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I don’t have a problem with people doing at home vaccinations at home but know that they may not be recognized if your dog goes to boarding, a dog park requiring them, even your vets.

I think the one thing that may make me *not* recommend at home vaccinations is vet care. If people only do them at home and do rabies at a clinic....do their dogs get needed vet care?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts