Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Google it, it should be the first listing. Has anyone used or participated in the service? I'm thinking of trying this service when the family can't watch Elsa, and I'm on vacation. I'd like your thoughts on the service, if you've used it or not.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I dunno. . .I kind of like knowing that my dogs are behind 3 layers of fencing, separated from other dogs, while I'm gone. There's a larger margin for error in a private home, no matter how well screened and trained they are. For some dogs and some owners I'm sure it's the best option. But I prefer a maximum-security kennel :p.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
for me, this would never work....not one of my kids would stay anywhere that i wasn't for more than about 1/2 a day......i don't even leave them w/ "trusted" friends (and they all say they wouldn't want to be responsible for them)....if i go, the dogs go.......Tir would go over anything short of about 8' and thru or under if that high....Titch and Kilt would be gone at the 1st open door or over/thru/under fencing and Kilt would, also, not eat......the only one i could trust to leave behind is Saoirse and that's probably b/c she was w/ someone else for the 1st 9 mo

not to mention the fact that i trust 1 person to care for my dogs my way and that's my 11 yr old GD (don't even trust my OH).......

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Hmmmmm....Haven't used it and don't think I would. We've always managed to find professional places we trust. Unless you can spend time with someone and see how they interact with dogs you don't know how they would treat your pup. Even then, you can't always be sure. We thought we had found a place we could trust but it turned out to be a terrible place for a dog with Poca's temperament. Found out they were yanking her around and had no idea how to work with a fearful dog. And they had about twice the number of dogs in their care as they said they did or should have had. So leaving her with a total stranger is just out of the question, esp. a non-professional.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I know this thread is more than 3 years old but I'm curious if there is any more recent feedback about this service. Honestly for me, it seems more appealing to have my dog stay at someone's home with them than to stay at a public kennel. It appears that all people are insured, and there are lots of reviews to go by too. It seems like a great alternative, actually. I'm just really apprehensive about using a kennel because I've never kenneled my dogs before... It seems like such a stressful environment for them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know this thread is more than 3 years old but I'm curious if there is any more recent feedback about this service. Honestly for me, it seems more appealing to have my dog stay at someone's home with them than to stay at a public kennel. It appears that all people are insured, and there are lots of reviews to go by too. It seems like a great alternative, actually. I'm just really apprehensive about using a kennel because I've never kenneled my dogs before... It seems like such a stressful environment for them.
Well I haven't used that specific service, however I do use an insured and licensed in home daycare for my dog. I love her, she was a vet tech for over 25 years and is well known in the dog trainer circuit around here. She has a fenced in yard for dogs to be outside in, she only takes a set number of dogs for daycare. She does run errands in the afternoon and the dogs get crated for a while. Ellie runs into her house when I drop her off. She will be watching our dog when we go away with family in August and I wouldn't trust my dog anywhere else. Ellie was too shy for a bigger daycare months ago, now her confidence is fantastic and is comfortable around almost any dog.

Now I know this wasn't exactly what you asked, but I do believe if you find the right in-home dog sitter it can really work out well.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Cool, thanks! I've talked to a few people since I posted that and there is also rover.com that is similar, so I think I'm going to check it out. Reviews seem to be really positive... Honestly it almost sounds like something I would do myself for some extra cash! Haha! Like being an aunt or uncle, take the kids then send them home when you're done with them!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
We're actually boarding Annabel and Beckett at someone's home when we're on vacation in two weeks. Annabel loves being boarded at kennels, so we weren't really worried about her, but I have no doubt that Beckett would be 100% miserable with minimal human contact. This guy we're using... well, this is his full-time job and he makes it a point to barely ever leave the dogs, PLUS he gives special care to young puppies. He has stellar feedback, I love how his house is setup, and it is ideal for what we need.

Besides which, Beckett is actually too young to stay at two of the three kennels we've used, and the one that will take him... I'm not a fan of their boarding facilities. Just yucky.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
We have a Doggy Daycare in our area that also Boards. I know the owners so am confident with leaving Kris with them. She goes to the Doggy Daycare during the day and home with the owner at night. Never had a problem and she has a good time. When I had to be in the hospital for a week, I left her at my niece's place. They have hunting hounds so have good runs so I figured she would be fine. She tore her way out of the pen and luckily just went and sat on their porch. She is very well crate trained but when they put her into a crate, she broke out of that. She ended up spending the week in their house as she was fine in the crate as long as they were nearby. Really surprised me as she is not a dog that has ever shown any signs of doing this. I hate to think what might have happened if I had just left her a regular boarding kennel as at least she knows my niece so didn't leave when she did get out.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I just don't board if I can avoid it. If I can't avoid it, I use the vet. They board, and they're - well, they're the vet so if something is going on or comes up they can take care of the dog. They also know the dog's medical history.

I'll be honest, I don't board with an eye to my dogs having a good time. I board with an eye toward the greatest chances of my dog being in one piece and healthy when I get back. Also for the lowest chance of me losing my crap and having to hate someone because of an understandable accident, or being stressed and anxious because of the environment they are in - ie: I'd sit around and think of possibilities for things going wrong.

I am going on vacation early next month. I'm taking all the dogs with me. Yes, all of them. I'm having someone in to take care of the small animals/cats, but the dogs are going with me. Then I can't neurotically obsess about what might be going wrong/happening with the dogs that I dont' know about, AND if something goes horribly wrong I can blame myself instead of someone else. Also the dogs will have fun, but mostly those other two. It's just better for my mental health.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I usually board them at the vet's but this time I had a friend stay at my house. I hope it goes well :/. I'm honestly more worried about this than boarding them, but boarding 4 dogs is expensive plus Moose doesn't eat while boarded and he's too old to go without food so long.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts